We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need your opinions on summer rental...please

Oaklyn, New Jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Topic
need your opinions on summer rental...please

After searching endless listings, I think I've narrowed it down to 4 properties and I'd prefer hearing the opinions of local "experts", since this is my first time going to OC. Here's some background info...because of my husbands crazy bridge painting job, I will mostly be on this vacation alone with my 67 year old mother and two year old twin boys. She's willing to take her tired knees up to a second floor unit, but would prefer close walking to beach (as do I, since walking twin toddlers and gear is not a fun prospect).

Here are my choices:

Atlantic Ave, between 4th and 5th

1300 block of Asbury

3300 block of West Ave.

intersection of 25th and West

The beach will be our main activity, but wouldn't mind being close to the waterpark...that's why the first property is listed.

Also, this might be a stupid question, but what exactly is Fenton Carey Field? Is it a park?

Many thanks for any advice you can give me.

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need your opinions on summer rental...please

Lets start with your last question first....Fenton Carey Field is basically the Ocean City High School and it's associated athletic field which runs from Atlantic Ave to just before the boardwalk.

Atlantic between 4th and 5th - The commercial part of the boardwalk starts @ 6th and boardwalk so you will be a couple of blocks away from there. Your trip to the beach will be down Atlantic to either 4th or 5th, one long block from Atlantic to Corinthian and then a very short block from there to the boardwalk and beach. The 5th Street Beach is guarded so that is probably where you'll want to go. To go to the boardwalk it would be the same thing as the beach and then you will walk 1 block south to the commercial part of the boardwalk.

1300 block of Asbury - 4 blocks to the beach at this point and both the 13th and 14th street beaches are guarded. This is the southern part of the commercial part of the boardwalk and there are motels along Ocean Ave so there will be more beach traffic here.

3300 Block of West - Island gets narrower as you go south so at this point West Ave is about 2 1/2 blocks to the beach. 34th Street is the guarded beach closest so that is probably where you'd be going. West Ave is the widest street in Ocean City and is used by many as a North/South avenue and has lots of traffic. If you are on the west side of West, a trip to the beach will also mean you must cross West. 34th Street is also the main southern access into Ocean City (exit 25 on the Garden State) and a busy commercial street so there will be traffic associated with that. There is a huge playground on the corner of West and 34th that was just recently totally redone which may be of interest to you. In order to go to the boardwalk you will need to drive and find parking (city lots charge $10).

25th and West - Island is wider here so you will have about a 3+ walk to beach. Same info re West Ave's traffic and east or west side apply. This is in the "Gold Coast" area on the beach with lots of large houses along Wesley Avenue and there are no businesses or motels in the area so once at the beach it will be just residential folks. 24th and 26th street beaches are guarded so you have to factor that into the mix for travel to the beach. The Boardwalk starts @ 23rd street but the commercial are doesn't start till 15th so while this is walkable, it's a heck of a walk.

Hope that helps a little. Ocean City is a wonderful place and I'm sure you'll have a great vacation. When are you planning on going?

Mentioned in this post
Gold Coast
Gold Coast
Queensland, Australia
Oaklyn, New Jersey
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need your opinions on summer rental...please

Thanks for your input. I can see these on google maps, but sometimes it is very hard to tell what is a block and what isn't. Not to mention, that not one of these said 3 blocks or more, but 2 blocks or less.

We are going in late August (probably last week). Is my best bet the one on Atlantic, then? Is the walk on Atlantic before we have to turn a long one?

Mineola, New York
Level Contributor
6,407 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need your opinions on summer rental...please

Your walk on Atlantic would depend on what the address is of the property. You could also go down 4th (if you are nearer that corner) and go down the boardwalk or even the beach. You'd have to see what exactly the lifeguards set the stand which might even be between 4th and 5th.

New Windsor, NY
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need your opinions on summer rental...please

We always stay on 14th & Ocean. It's a nice area of Ocean City. Asbury would be 3 blocks from the beach via 14th st. Not a bad walk. There is a little grocery store in that area called Boyar's where you can get essentials & take out, also a cute ice cream shop across the street. The commercial part of the boardwalk begins on 14th so if you want to order lunch on the boardwalk it will be easy. Look into buying a beach cart to help cart your things to/from the beach. It is a lifesaver when traveling with kids!!! If you can get a house on Wesley near 14th that would be even better!!

Malvern, PA
Level Contributor
205 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: need your opinions on summer rental...please

The distance gets confusing when we refer to blocks. The house on Atlantic, I believe are very long blocks. When you come up to 13th and 14th Asbury it is a short block. Basically it is the length of 2 houses, their driveways and an alley. Very short blocks, but it depends if you are in the middle of the block. Also, if the house is an odd number it is on the beach side of the street and odds are on the bayside. If your mom has bad knees try to get a first floor. Two flight can get tough after a week. Also, if you are on Asbury and there are stores below. It is really the third floor, but some newer houses have elevators.

Shillington...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: need your opinions on summer rental...please

I stayed at the property at 861 Pelham place. It is 2 blocks from the water park, one block from basketball, skate baord, volleyball courts and kid's rides. The beach and boards are steps away from this quiet street.

Ocean City, NJ
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
543 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need your opinions on summer rental...please

It is against forum policy to solicit, and I am not trying to do that, but I have parents with serious mobility issues, which is why we purchased our property. It is very near everything and has an elevator so no steps, and it is on the beachblock where you can reserve the surf chairs and there is wheelchair access to the beach. (see other recent posts re. handicap accessibility) We only have the week of 9/4 available. If that works, then please send me a private message for more details.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need your opinions on summer rental...please

I don't know what a beach cart is but up here on Cape Cod parents use a little red wagon to transport kids and all their stuff to the beach. I hope you can bring (or buy there) something with wheels that you can use. Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
9. Re: need your opinions on summer rental...please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 04, 2011