We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crab Shacks?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Crab Shacks?

We'll be traveling to Ocean City for the first time this summer (July 5-9). We're wondering where we could find a crab shack type of restaurant? The kind with paper on the tables, hammers, etc. Nothing fancy at all. Kid friendly, etc. We don't mind driving. Thanks!

Ocean City, NJ
Destination Expert
for Ocean City
Level Contributor
535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crab Shacks?

Smitty's Clam Bar

910 Bay Avenue

Somers Point, NJ 08244-2310

(609) 927-8783

BYO beer & wine - people bring beer in small coolers.

Be prepared to wait! But they always give you a worst case scenario for how long the wait will be. Last weekend they told us the wait would be 45 mins, but we only waited 20-25 mins, and enjoyed a drink out on the patio while waiting.

Check out the reviews:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=smitty's+somers+point&fb=1&gl=us&hq=smitty's&hnear=somers+point&cid=14667488492051207655&dtab=2&pcsi=14667488492051207655,1&ei=Jpb5S8GzF8KqlAfOguS_Cg&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBYQqgUwAA

Rehoboth Beach...
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crab Shacks?

If you're wanting to have them dump freshly steamed crabs on your table & sit there picking away, you might be driving. While there are plenty of such places in Rehoboth Beach and Ocean City, MD, I can't think of one in OCNJ. or close by (but hopefully someone else will).

Sure, Smitty's is a wonderful place, great well prepared seafood dishes, wallet-friendly prices, very casual (they do in fact have paper on the tables), but I don't want you to wait an hour & then find out they don't have crabs (other than in the menu items). Clams, yes, Crabs, no.

When we wanted to "pick crabs," we always caught our own or bought them live at the seafood market, steamed 'em up in a big pot & spread yesterday's newspaper on the dining room table. It's a social event, you can't do it alone. And you have to love crab meat to work so hard at it.

Hope you find a place, and be prepared to pay, they've gotten expensive!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crab Shacks?

I do like the sound of BYOB and my husband does love clams, but we are thinking of more like what the second poster is describing. We don't mind driving SOME, but not all the way to Myrtle Beach. I think we will put Smitty's on the list however. We call our oldest son Smitty, he's 4 and will get a kick out of that. Thanks for the rec. Keep em coming!

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,065 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crab Shacks?

There is Obadiah's just outside OCNJ that sells crabs Market Price. IMHO, due to their convenience to OC & that they serve liquor, they are always too loud & crowded, too pricey & the crabs [as well as the rest for their fare] are just OK. BUT it is convenient www.yesterdaysbar.com/obadiahs_frameset.htm

East Bay Crab & Grille does offer All~U~Can~Eat Blue Crabs or Snow Crab Legs or Dungeness Crabs or Bahama Mama Shrimp or Buffalo Style Wings at one price. I wish I could recall the price from last summer... I THINK it was $24.99, but don't hold me to this. Also you'll need to call & ask which is All~U~Can~Eat that day. It's more of a drive as they are outside AC http://www.eastbaycrab.com/ (609) 272-7721

Oyster Creek Inn is probably exactly what you are seeking, but this place is at the end or a tiny road on the bay and north of AC and it's not easy to get to. The 'crab room' is not much more than a screened~in room over looking the bay with 1 walled side that is restaurant access. They sell crabs at Market Price on weekends, but on most weekdays have an All~U~Can~Eat special. Again, you'll have to call this place to see if they are running an All~U~Can~Eat special that day http://www.oystercreekinnnj.com/ 609 652 8565

If you do decide to buy them & eat them where you're staying, try Woodburn's Clams & Crabs in Somer's point 609 927 5521 [not Obidiah's] I've bought live crabs from them before to take home & steam and was unaware that there was dining there, but these reviews make it sound like it has a dining room, though it may be sketchy yelp.com/biz/woodburns-clams-and-crabs-somer…

Edited: 3:36 pm, May 25, 2010
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
121 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crab Shacks?

This is very helpful! Thanks. We can't cook them where we're staying as it is a hotel. But we'll be checking out the other places. Thanks so much!

Lumberton NJ
Level Contributor
660 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crab Shacks?

I would think Crabby's in Mays Landing would fit the bill. It's a bit of a ride from OC. I'd say arould 25 mins, but it's pretty much what you are looking for.

7. Re: Crab Shacks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 06, 2010