We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All year round food

Ocean City, Nj
1 post
Save Topic
All year round food

There are many places to eat in ocean city but does any one know any good places to eat at all year round?

miami,fl
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: All year round food

The Chatterbox still isn't a restaurant. Good place to get a milkshake or hang out if you are a kid, but the foot is just awful. Anchorage, Sails, and the Crab Trab in Somers Point are your best bets.

Pcean City, NJ
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: All year round food

I'd have to add the Varsity as a great Breakfast/Lunch place all year and a place for dinner in the season.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,025 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: All year round food

Since you are talking about old times, anyone remember Chris' Seafood restaurant, the first place you saw coming over 9th St. on your right? Do you remember seeing Chris piloting the Flying Saucer through the ocean while you were sitting on the beach and then seeing him at the restaurant acting as mechanic on the Flying Pony? I worked there one summer serving on the deck of the restaurant. What about Bayshores? That was prime Somers Pt on the bay real estate. Is it a condo community now? Is the Anchorage that you mention still the original? If so I wonder what that must look like. It was a (wonderful) dive 35 years ago. And is the Dunes (Dunes until dawn..) still there over on the way to Atlantic City? Oh the nostalgia of it all.

Mentioned in this post
Atlantic City
Atlantic City
Jersey Shore, NJ
Lancaster, PA
Level Contributor
303 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: All year round food

Ahh, OC history....

You would probably enjoy the old postcard book (check Amazon) or Peck's Beach.

Yes, ate at Chris' many times & then took the complimentary boat ride. Wasn't Hogate's also just down the bay?

I am a little young to remember the 50's & 60's Somer's Point nightlife, but I did have a roomate years ago who did sound for a band that played Tony Marts regularly...can't remember the band name but "Malcolm & Ruby" should give it away. Anyhoo, Bayshores has survived intact, even as a restaurant/club. After many names, reopened a couple years ago as "Sails." (upscale dining) The Dunes, however, is long gone. The Anchorage, I believe, is still the original.

Speaking of OC restaurant memories, does anyone remember the "Cameo Waffle Shop" on the boards? How about Watson's & Simms? One more question: Does anyone know if the Italian guy (Guisepi?sp?) who used to sit out in front of his boardwalk restaurant & sing (& yell "good morning...beautiful morning, isn't it?") is still living? Have missed him lately!

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,025 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: All year round food

Hi there,

We never went to Hogates but as a little girl my grandparents took me to Watson's. Hey, that's great news that Bayshores survived as Sails. While I grew up through the summers on OCNJ, by the time I was in college my grandparents had sold the cottage. So we college girlfriends lived in the apartments directly behind the College Grill (and I worked there briefly) which was right beside Bob's at 13th and the boardwalk. Later the owners opened the Varsity. They are Bill Simmons and I think her name is Barbara. I wonder who owns the Varsity now as I noticed it is still open from comments on this forum.

I was underage when going around to the Somer's Pt. bars in the early 70s. Still remember my fake name on the ID. I really have fond memories of OCNJ but now we are entralled with Cape Cod and have been going there for over a decade.

Long ago my cousin sent me a copy of Peck's beach. Thanks for mentioning it. I think I'll have to pull it out and look at it today thanks to your reminder. Thanks for your post.

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts