We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

Shdema, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

Hi,

We'll be in the area in July.

We're looking for a hotel in the area for 3 nights which will have a good public transportation to Manhattan (either bus or train).

Budget is up to $150 per night.

Thanks.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,496 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

Your budget is low. Does that include tax? What airport are you flying into? How many people?

Edited: 2:43 pm, January 22, 2014
New Jersey
Level Contributor
420 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

Also what time in July? How many beds and/or rooms?

Here is a link thta may be of some help.

http://www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,819 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

I think if your main goal is to see NY stay in NY.

Shdema, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

I thought I might insult NJ people for asking this, as I would insult Manhattan people if I would suggest their city is way too expensive...

We are 4 people. We can go up to 200$ per night also, and we'll be in the area in July 19th for 3 nights and then we leave via JFK.

Its the first time my kids (14 & 18) will be in NY, and we want to see the major attractions (i.e Statue of Liberty, Times square, Central park).

Honestly I know that NJ has a lot to offer and it might be insulting to some that we just want to "use" your city as a sleeping place, and I promise that next time we'll look around more, but this time, that's our plan...

I thought we'll "home-base" at Hilton Pen-station which seems within our budget and with good connection to Manhattan.

5. Re: Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:53 am, January 23, 2014
Edited: 3:53 am, January 23, 2014
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,819 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

NJ is not a city. It is a state. Here are a few links. I think especially if your flying out of NY you should stay in NY.

tripadvisor.com/…27885510

ww.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com\

www.shophaddonfieldnj.com/

www.funnewjersey.com/

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.findsomerville.com

www.discoversalemcounty.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.tourism.visitmonmouth.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

Shdema, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

I know NJ is a state and sorry if I was interpreted wrongly. I really don't underestimate NJ as a touring place, and still am looking for a reasonable place to stay in the vicinity of NY, which, could only mean I stay in another state that borders with NY.

I thank njslim for the informative link, and thank you AERULES for the info about NJ.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
420 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

The NYC forum can provide some good help in finding a hotel in Manhatten or Long Island City(LIC). I would doubt Manhatten given your price range (which I assume does not include taxes) but maybe LIC on a NYC subway line. Just supply dates, number people (adult\child) budget (specifiy with or without taxes) number of rooms\beds and any other special considerations.

Newark Hilton is nice with walkway over to Penn Station where you can catch the Path ($2.50 each way/person).

http://www.panynj.gov/path/

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,496 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

It's not insulting, many people "sleep" in NJ for a NYC visit. But it's not an optimal solution unless you can stay at a hotel that is near a PATH train into NYC, such as that Hlilton Penn Station. The Robert Treat hotel in Newark is another option (not so close to Penn station but it is walkable) and the Hampton Inn Harrison might be another, cheaper alternative but is still somewhat less convenient but doable tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g46494-d523919-…

I saw that you leave out of JFK but how do you get here? If you fly into JFK then for sure you should post your dates & budget on the NYC forum.

If you're leaving out of JFK it's a bit of a pain to get to JFK from here and will cost you around $150+ or so (including tolls + tips) to get to JFK by car service. You can do it much, much cheaper via public transit but it's a schlep, though people do it.

Edited: 8:22 am, January 23, 2014
Shdema, Israel
Level Contributor
141 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel close to public transportation to Manhattan

Thanks, livesinnewjersy. We should indeed take into consideration the cost of driving to JFK. I'm now convinced I should look for different accommodation.