We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Airtran open to public?

Columbus
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Is Airtran open to public?

Hello, I am taking a very impromptu trip to NYC. I have never been before. I will be flying into Newark on Friday evening and staying with my uncle who lives 15 min from the airport. I know that the Airtran only will cost me $12.50 to go to Penn Station in NY.

This may be a stupid question, buit if I'm staying with my uncle, can I come back into the airport and get on the Airtran whenever I please? Or is it only accessible to those who have come off a flight? Also, will I have to go through security to get on it.

The reason I ask is because I rather use Airtran, as Penn Station Newark is telling me its $30+ bucks for a one way fare to Manhattan. I am traveling alone, so need all the help I can get. TIA!

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
35,739 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Airtran open to public?

I think you are thinking of the airtrain - the monorail that goes to and from the airport and the train station where you can picj up a train to New York. www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

I'm not sure but I can't think of a reason someone would not be dropped off at the airport, then go to the airtrain and pick up the monorail to the station. It's not past checkin or security, but you'd still have to pay for it and the train ride..

hth

Pjk

Edited: 10:38 am, September 11, 2013
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Airtran open to public?

Where exaclty does your uncle live?

What you probably want to do from your uncle's is get to a PATH station, eg Newark Penn Station. PATH is a subway that goes between NJ and NYC and only costs $2.50. There's no reason to use Airtrain just to get to NYC from your uncle's

Here's the PATH system map -- there may even be a closer station to your uncle's than Newark

http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Another option, depending on exactly where your Uncle lives, is to take a NJ Transit train into New York Penn Station (note difference between Newark Penn Station and New York Penn Station) or a NJ Transit bus into the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 42nd street & 8th Avenue

www.njtransit.com

This should be very easy -- you won't have anything to worry about

Edited: 11:29 am, September 11, 2013
New Jersey
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Airtran open to public?

I suspect you are looking at Amtrak rates which start at $28, , take a look at NJ transit..It is $5 each way to from Newark to Penn Station NY.

www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv…

4. Re: Is Airtran open to public?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 14, 2014