We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get into NYC from newark airport?

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
187 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
How to get into NYC from newark airport?

I have a seven hour layover in NYC (coming in at Newark) and want to get a picture of the tree at Rockefeller center. Should I take the train? Is there a website where I can see timetables? What train stop is closest to Rockefeller center? Where is the best place to take pictures of the Statue of Liberty? I know I won't have time to do much but I would at least like to get some good pictures.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,907 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get into NYC from newark airport?

Your best bet is Airtrain www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html which will get you to Penn station in about 30-40min and from there you can take the subway to Rockefeller Center

Take the Airtrain to the the Newark Airport train station. Then transfer to a NJ TRANSIT train to Penn Station NY, the last stop (this is all done on one ticket, not two). Make sure you don't get out at Penn Station NEWARK. Also, don't get a ticket for an Amtrak train because that will cost you a LOT more. Trains run 7 days a week, 21 hours/day (no service between 2:00-5:00 AM) at least every 15 minutes and more frequently during the daytime. The cost is $12.50 and total travel time including waiting for a NJ Transit train at the Airpot Tain Station should about 30-45 minutes, less during peak times when trains are extremely frequent.

From Penn Station take the E subway to the Rockefeller Center stop see map at http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm -- don't remember the exact stop name

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,907 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get into NYC from newark airport?

I forgot to mention that Airtrain is very well marked and you'll have no trouble. When you get to Penn station just ask for directions to the E train and you'll have no problems. It's less than 10 min to Rock Center and you walk it if you wanted in 20-25 min easily.

And while you're there, take a look at this which is very cool http://newyorkdailyphoto.com/nydppress/?p=392

Texas
Level Contributor
187 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get into NYC from newark airport?

Thanks for the great info! Can't wait to see NYC!

4. Re: How to get into NYC from newark airport?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 21, 2013