We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning from Italy through Newark - customs question

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
259 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Returning from Italy through Newark - customs question

Hi, I will be returning from my Italian honeymoon through Newark and home to Detroit. If I buy any liquids at the duty free in Rome, will I be able to board a new plane in Newark with them? Will I have remained in the secure area or will I have to pack them in luggage at that point? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Detroit
Detroit
Michigan
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,966 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning from Italy through Newark - customs question

It's not a question of customs. It's a question of security. If your 2nd flight is from the same terminal then you do not have to go out of and then back through security. If you fly into terminal A then out of terminal B or C, for example, you will go out of then back through customs.

If you are flying with the same airline for both legs, this should not be a problem.

Pjk

Livonia, Michigan
Level Contributor
259 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning from Italy through Newark - customs question

Ah ha, excellent point of course. I will fly into Newark on Alitalia and out on Delta.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning from Italy through Newark - customs question

you will have to pack them into luggage

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning from Italy through Newark - customs question

Alitalia and Delta are both part of skyteam and codeshare, in theory your luggage should be put straight through, Alitalia flies into terminal b and delta flies out of terminal b

Now, US customs works that everyone goes through customs at the port of entry so you would have to get your bags and you would have to recheck them and you would have to go through security again, and even if you dont have to go thru customs you would still go thru a security check where they take away ALL liquids INCLUDING duty free wrapped stuff

why?? cause they can........

5. Re: Returning from Italy through Newark - customs question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, September 28, 2013