We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
288 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

I wonder if anyone can help me...

We are a family of 4 and will be landing at Newark. We wish to get to Newark Penn Station and I have become confused about the public transport.

Initially we thought about getting a taxi, but then figured we would have a job getting one with 4 of us plus luggage.

Therefore, can anyone tell me if we need to use the air train and then NJ Transit ? Also, where do we purchase tickets. and do we need to get two separate tickets for the journey?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

taxi

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,554 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

I would second the taxi

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

To get to Newark Penn Station, you need to use AirTran and New Jersey Transit (NJT). Take AIrTran to the NJT/AMTRAK station, and then take an NJT train that is heading towards New York City. $8/25/adult, $6.75/child.

Here are some links that may help:

www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servlet.srv…

www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-to-from.html

But then what do you do when you get to Penn Station?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

Airtrain then NJ Transit will do it and ticketing is very clearly marked. Just make sure you go to Newark Penn Station and not New York Penn station.

I have no opinion on taxi vs public transportation in this case but in the past I've not a problem with taxis for 4 + luggage though I haven't had to do that for some time.

www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
288 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

Thank you so much for all your replies...I am so grateful!

I didn't think a taxi would work due to 4 of us plus 4 large pieces of luggage, plus hand luggage in a standard size car. We could ask a driver when we arrive and if we have problems, use the trains. Does Newark airport have larger vehicles for taxis at all? Any idea of the cost of a taxi from the airport to Newark Penn?

Oh, I was correct then in thinking the Airtrain and then NJ Transit...I was getting so confused!!!!! I take it there will be staff at hand to guide a mother of a British family, just in case! We only have national rail and the London Underground here, so it's pretty simple to understand really.

Thanks, I became aware there are 2 Penn Stations during my research. I didn't want to arrive and have no idea of how we were going to get to our hotel which is the Hilton Penn. We chose this hotel for it's location to get to and from New York easily.

PS. what is the PATH?

Thanks again...

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

PATH is a subway system that goes between NYC and NJ. It is not part of the NYC subways system but tens of thousands of people take it every day. Very convenient and inexpensive and it will be how you get form the Hilton in Newark to NYC. This is a very convenient location from which to visit NYC as they have an enclosed bridge to the train station

www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-airtrain.html

I have never had a reason to take Airtrain myself but by all accounts, and I do mean all of the, it's easy, well marked an hard to mess up. And inexpensive and fast.

But for 4 people I'd take a taxi and yes, they do have vans though I don't know how many. According to panynj.gov/airports/ewr-taxi-car-van-service… the taxi fare to the city of newark is under $20 + tip and maybe a small toll so figure it will end up around 30-35 for the four of you. They have uniformed taxi dispatchers at the airport and as long as you use one of them you won't have a problem.

Edited: 2:09 pm, August 18, 2012
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

I hae you the wrong map, I gave you te airtrain map instead of the PATH map. Here's the right map www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

Note that it's a direct line to lower manhattan and the World Trace Center site and a transfer at Journal Square to Greenwhich Village (ChristopherStreet) mid-manhattan (towards 33rd st).

Edited: 2:12 pm, August 18, 2012
Bognor Regis...
Level Contributor
288 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

Wow, LivesInNewJersey, thank you!

I will keep in mind about uniformed dispatchers...I take it from the website you very kindly suggested, that passengers can be assisted by Customer Welcome Centre, which is nice to hear.

In regards to cost...it works out much the same, but going by taxi seems far less hassle. So I may reconsider our original idea of rail. Great to know one has choices, though.

Ah....now I understand these different rail systems...all I need to get my head around is NYC subway!!!!

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,011 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

Not to confuse you, but there are more than 3 rail systems in the North NJ/NY area:

AMTRAK (Inter City)

New Jersey Transit (NJT) (Local Stops)

PATH (Newark to NYC)

AirTran (Airport)

New York Subway (many lines, like London)

Long Island Railroad (LIRR) (Local stops to Long Island)

10. Re: How to get from Newark Airport to Newark Penn Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:53 pm, August 18, 2012