We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alamo Car rental Newark

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Altofts, Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
30 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Alamo Car rental Newark

Anyone know if the Alamo office at Newark Liberty is now up and running?

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alamo Car rental Newark

According to www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-car-rental.html Alamo is not. But I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that they don't keep the information 100% up to date in a timely manner

New Jersey
Level Contributor
415 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alamo Car rental Newark

According to Alamo the process is as follows:

•Please take the air train to station P2.

•Proceed down the escalator to the sliding doors on the right where the Alamo shuttle bus will pick you up and take you to the location.

•It will take about 8 minutes to get to us from P2 on our shuttle.

Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Alamo Car rental Newark

Rented a car from Alamo at Newark airport recently. A bit inconvenient having to take 5 min shuttle bus from air train but the rates and the helpful and friendly staff made the difference.

Burnley, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Alamo Car rental Newark

I am returning my hire car to the Alamo car rental in Newark next month before finishing my vacation in New York.

Are there taxi facilities to take me straight into the city without having to travel back into the airport.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,380 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alamo Car rental Newark

Nope. It is genarrlly advised not to take a taxi across state lines

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
10,986 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alamo Car rental Newark

Ever so slightly, I disagree with my e-friend and colleague, AERULES. Though I think it might actually be easiser to take the Alamo shuttle back to the airport and thence a taxi into the city, I don't see why it would be a problem to call a taxi from the Alamo office. In either case you'd be taking a NJ taxi into NYC. The advantage to doing it from the airport is that you won't have to find a the taxi company and you would be able to use the airport's taxi dispatcher who would give you a fixed price (+ tolls & tip)

I don't know what number to call for a taxi, though, but it's quite possible that the Alamo office will have a number. But you'd have to be careful about the price, I don't know what they would charge whereas it would be a fixed price from the airport.

Southampton, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Alamo Car rental Newark

I hired a top of the range 4x4 SUV.

The remote locking was missing. This may not sound too bad but the car only had a keyhole on the driver's door. This made opening the tailgate or passenger door impossible without going to the drivers door.

When I challenged them about it they said this is still very new technology and most people still use the key!!!

The internal lights on the gearstick etc. did not work. This made it very dangerous trying to manoeuvre when I was trying get into tight spaces as I had no idea what gear I was in.

They asked me why I did not tell them when I picked up the car but the first time I drove in darkness what 500 miles away 8 days later.

The car was also not very clean inside and I was able to tell what snacks the previous driver had eaten by the trail of crumbs etc.

The recpetionist delayed me for an eternity trying to sell me extras I had already declined when I booked the car.

I would NEVER use them again.

Ian Bennett

NY
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alamo Car rental Newark

Yes, my travel agent said they are . Also I was told Alamo is in the main building

San Jose
Level Contributor
61 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alamo Car rental Newark

Like a Rat Hunting for Food in a Maze…..

Pros: Reasonable pick up and drop off process ( once you've reached Alamo )

Cons: Laughable location. Number of available mid size SUVs was small for a large airport.

Suggestion: Get a map of the local streets from Alamo…or pay for a GPS system Make sure your LIFE insurance is fully functional before driving away.

Star Ratings:

- Overall: 3

- Convenience: 3

- Cleanliness: 3

- Selection of Cars 2

- Service: 3

- Knowledge of Staff: 3

- Friendliness: 4

- Cost: 3

- Value: 3

Once a year, we need a rental car at the Newark airport. I seem to rotate my choice of companies, so this time we decided to try Alamo. Aside from a location in the "land of nowhere", our experience was not bad.

- Location: Be prepared for adventure. Take the Air Train to P2 ( almost the end of the line and home to Dollar and Budget )…then find the shuttle to Alamo for a 5-7 minute ride. The facility is a moderate size right next to one of Newark's most famous landmarks…the Anheuser-Busch manufacturing plant. It's huge and almost saved our lives. More on that later.

Leaving the parking lot and finding I-78 wasn't too bad. Coming back from I-78 to Alamo was like a movie. Roads and signs are convoluted…and I'm good at this stuff.

ADVICE: Do not follow the signs to "Off Airport Rental Cars". That's for everyone else. Alamo is "off…off…off" the airport. When we parked to read cell phone directions, a policeman stopped to check us out. He had a better idea than I did, but not by much. We followed his suggested turns and got closer, but since most of the nearby streets are one way, I had to somehow get on the southbound lane of Frontage Road. Sounds easy? Not really.

As we drove NEXT to Frontage Road heading south, I saw a small sign for Alamo and took the exit…then followed a few more similar signs. Before long, we were in a neighborhood resembling a combat zone video game or apocalypse movie. I felt badly for the people I saw, but we didn't exactly expect a Welcome Wagon, so when I spotted the towering Anheuser-Busch plant 20 blocks away, I floored the pedal and peeled the tires toward the beer. Let's just say it was 15 minutes we'll never forget.

Back at the ranch, I asked the parking attendant if there was a less death-defying way to return the car. He said "sure is. I guess the agent didn't give you a map". Nice time to find out.

- Service: There were only 2 couples ahead of us at check-in, but we waited 10 minutes because only 1 agent was on duty. Since I had a reservation, we weren't at the counter very long. After declining the various available service options, we tried to find a midsize SUV with the lowest mileage. A trainee said there were 3 and the winner had 27,500 miles. I expressed doubt and asked for a recount. The agent checked himself and said "we've got one with 6,300". We grabbed it before the numbers changed.

- Car: Our 2013 Chevrolet Captiva was just washed and had the dried water spots to prove it. Seriously…it looked like a sea of gray measles on dark blue sheet metal.. The interior was clean, but the door panels and dashboard had large scuff marks. We tried to remove them, but quickly realized the only way it would happen is with a thorough detailing job.

There were no real problems riding around for 7 days. I wouldn't buy the car, but it served a purpose…and gas mileage was 25-30 miles per gallon. There were few frills inside, but it did come with XM-Sirius satellite radio which allowed us to listen to the same stations as at home.

- Convenience: Okay when you're at Alamo. The adventure is getting there. Only 1 agent at 330 PM on a Saturday was a bit skimpy, but there were a few attendants at departure so we only spent 5 minutes before boarding the bus back to P2.

- Cost: The advertised cost of $338 for 7 days…including fees and taxes…was at the cheaper end of the pack for rentals at the Newark airport according to several websites. We declined ALL extras, filled the tank just before drop-off and paid the expected bill of $338.

- Value: I don't know. Could have been worse? Same as their competitors? Lousy? I must deduct one star for a location requiring the skills of rat hunting for food in a maze.

What have I learned from this experience? Don't fly? Only drive to destinations? use a car rental company with the best reviews on Yelp regardless of cost? I'm leaning toward the latter because trying to save money seems to cost more in the end.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
148 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alamo Car rental Newark

Alamo may have a desk in the building, but their facility is on route 1 off site, but close

Edited: 2:29 pm, October 29, 2013