We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Parsippany for 3 nights

Which Newark hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greensboro, NC
1 post
Save Topic
Staying in Parsippany for 3 nights

I will be on a business trip to Parsippany, NJ for a couple of nights and want to know what there is to do in the area. I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Parsippany and would like to do some nice dining and shopping. I will have a rental car and don't mind driving a little bit.

Also, I thought about going to NY but feel I might get depressed or have a hard time finding something to do without my wife and son.

Any suggestions?

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Parsippany for 3 nights

take the NJ Transit train into NYC for a day

cheaper than driving in and parking

would be a shame to come to NJ without a visit to the Big Apple

www.njtransit.com

New Jersey
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Parsippany for 3 nights

Hi

Holiday Inn in Parsippany is not one of the nicer hotels. I am sure the hotel is clean, but the location is not that great (it's on a busy highway) If there is any chance you can change to the Hilton or the Sheraton Tara you should do it.

The Holiday Inn is directly across the street from the Longhorn, and the Outback is right up the street. The hotel is located in a strictly business area. Lot's and lots of stores. The Willowbrook Mall is about 10 minutes east - nice mall, good stores.

Morristown is close by and there is some nice dining and some fun bars. It's the county hotspot for nightlife.

Hope this helps.

Level Contributor
403 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Parsippany for 3 nights

I agree with the other post. I live in the general area and stayed at the Holiday Inn when I first relocated here. Other nicer choices are: 1) Sheraton Parsippany; 2) Embassy Suites; and 3) Hilton. All are within 10-15 miles of the Holiday Inn.

Nice dining in the area depends on your interest. Nice Italian, Japanese (sushi), Chinese, Seafood places are all nearby. Check with the hotels for recommendations. NJ is famous for its diners - all that retro chrome and glass, plus 15 page menus with everything under the sun. I would recommend the Empire Diner, which is just down the street from Holiday Inn. Great breakfast, lunch. Food is typical, but done quickly, inexpensive and tasty. if you are traveling alone, bring a newspaper and have a nice meal.

In terms of shopping, mostly typical malls in the area. Short Hills Mall in Short Hills (about 25 min from Holiday Inn) is one of those luxury malls w/ a Tiffany's, Saks, Nordstroms, etc.

Definitely go into the city if possible. If you are not used to Manhattan driving, I would recommend taking the train from Newark Penn Station. You can end up in Times Square, which is pretty nice. Plenty of trendy restaurants in Soho, Midtown, Union Square - again depending on your tastes.