We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to get to NY

Prague
3 posts
Save Topic
how to get to NY

Hello,

how far is it to Manhattan and how can I get there from Montvale?

Better taxi or train?

Thank you in advance for advices.

mimmix, Prague

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to get to NY

I hope you have a special reason to stay in Montvale, because there are MUCH better places to stay if your only intent is to visit NYC.

Anyway, go to www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv… and select Montvale as your departing trip and "New York Penn Station" as your destination (NOT "Newark Penn Station")

There is also bus service available from a couple of private carriers, go to www.montvale.org/redirect.asp… for details

Prague
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how to get to NY

Thank you, my trip is a gift, so I have to stay there...

I know, it is not the best place for visiting NY.

Maybe I could try taxi too, but I´m not sure about the price- I will stay there for one week, so travelling twice a day to NY and back may be expensive :-(

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: how to get to NY

Unless you are rich, you can forget about taking a taxi between NJ and NYC. No taxi in NYC will take you to Montvale for less than $100 one-way.

Prague
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: how to get to NY

I was expected price about 90...I know better ways to spend this money :-)

Maybe I could take a NJ transit to Secaucus Junction and then taxi to Manhattan?

I am afraid a little about changing trains.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how to get to NY

What is your fascination with taxis????

Take the bus if you don't want to transfer trains.

Sheesh.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how to get to NY

NYC taxis are not required to take anyone outside NYC unless it's to Newark Airport. So if you want to come back via taxi you have to negotiate a rate with the driver.

A better-than-a-taxi option (but also expensive) is to use a car service which will quote you a fixed rate, eg http://www.carmellimo.com -- these are very safe and dependable but you cannot hail one on the street, you must call them.

Howver, the cheapest, easiest way to do it is to take an NJ Transit train or one of the busses listed on that web site I gave you.

7. Re: how to get to NY

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, October 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Montvale
Recent Conversations