We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Table 8

Bergen County, NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Table 8

I had my first and last experience last night at the new restaurant "hotspot" in Montclair, Table 8. I have one thing to say about this place, SAVE YOUR MONEY. Go someplace else. This may have been the all time worst dining experiences I've ever had. We had to wait in the lobby for about 8-10 minutes so the host/owner could finish his personal phone call and after he finished, he walked away, took another phone call and then finally acknowledged us. Meanwhile, there was no one else waiting. This was at 5:30pm, so it wasn't that busy. My appetizer was anything but. The risotto had a very fishy taste and looked unappealing. My main course (pork) was very pink and undercooked. When I sent it back, instead of cooking it more, they brought it back to me in a take out container. I should have gotten the hint right there. Instead, I tried being a sport and tough it out, after all, it was Valentine's Day and I didn't want to spoil the night for my wife, who also ended up also having a poor dining experience that night but I'll leave that review up to her. After learning what happened with my meal, the owner who was also dubbing as the host that night, brought me a new dish, which was much smaller in portion and missing the truffle sauce. At this point we were ready for McDonald's but my wife asked me to stick it out and wait for dessert. Probably not the best idea since after our waitress learned what happened with my meal; she seemed to want nothing to do with our table anymore. After a long wait for dessert, we paid our bill (with the normal 20% tip, after all it wasn't the waitress's fault although she could have been more attentive to our situation) we got out of there as fast as possible. If I was to rate my overall experience on a scale of 1 to 10, this place definitely deserves a 1 (with 1 being the lowest). The food would merit maybe a 4. I would never go back there again. One last note, I also work in the restaurant business so I am usually one of the last people to ever complain because I know how hard this business could be especially on a holiday but this was beyond unacceptable.

Mentioned in this post
McDonald's
McDonald's
835 Reviews
New York City, NY
New Jersey
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Table 8

Table 8 has excellent food, this guy is full of it. He posted the same post on baristanet.com and everyone on the site told him he was full of it too. The New York Times gave Table 8 and excellent review, and the Times doesn't give such reviews lightly. I was there on Valnetine's day as well, and the food was spectacular. Clearly he has an axe to grind.

Mentioned in this post
Bergen County, NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Table 8

Berry,

No axe to grind here. I just tell it like it is. Whether I have a great experience or a bad experience, I often share those experiences with others, and yes, I post on more than one site. If you're wondering why it's the same review on the other site, I just cut and paste to save myself time, instead of re-typing everything over again. I still stand by my review and again, I would not go back there if my meal was free.

Montclair, NJ
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Table 8

I have to say that I am sorry that you had such a bad experience there. I have had several meals there and always had an excellent experience. I am not denying your experience but it sounds like it is very isolated. I'm sure the owner, Dimitri would want to know this and although you said you would never go back there, it's worth a try.