We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Montclair Uni to NYC

Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
946 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Bus from Montclair Uni to NYC

My son just transferred to Montclair and learned that the trains don't run on the weekends! We've found Decamp Bus Lines that seem to run close to the University to NYC, but on the weekends, their website shows that they don't drop off at the Valley Road stop. Is anyone familiar with the bus lines there and know how to back and forth from NYC on the weekends from the University?

My young niece (my son is her "boyfriend") and I will be meeting up with my son and going to NYC for a weekend. I'm just trying to find out how to get to/fro to lessen the stress on me - haven't traveled with a young one for quite a while. . . . .

Thanks for any help!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus from Montclair Uni to NYC

You'll have to go through Newark.

www.montclair.edu/welcome/directions.html

Edited: 9:06 am, September 10, 2010
Mount Laurel, NJ
Level Contributor
946 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus from Montclair Uni to NYC

So bus from NYC to Newark and then another bus to Montclair? Sorry - but I don't do this on a daily basis and don't understand the link - I've looked at that myself and thought the DeCamp bus maybe but when checking their site it doesn't look like they don't stop at campus coming back from NYC. Thanks for the help

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,379 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus from Montclair Uni to NYC

Unless something has changed De Camp is on strike. There is no direct train service on weekends from Monclair to NYC.

Edited: 5:06 pm, September 10, 2010
New Brunswick, New...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus from Montclair Uni to NYC

I am certainly no expert but I have a freshman also at Montclair and when I called DeCamp they said the student should tell the driver that he/she wants to get off at the Mount Hebron & Grove stop. From there the person can walk two blocks to get back to the university. One other option: there is an NJ Transit train that runs from one of the stations in the town center on the weekends. The student can take the #28 NJ Transit bus directly from the university to the Bay Street Montclair train station. The student will still have to switch trains in Newark--and neither the bus nor train runs very often on the weekends--but at least it's an option. My son hasn't gone to NY yet on the weekend but he has taken the #28 bus back and forth to the Montclair town center on the weekend and it has worked well.

5. Re: Bus from Montclair Uni to NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 11, 2011