We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing in Sept - LBI

Dana Point...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Surfing in Sept - LBI

My boyfriend and I would like to rent a house on/near the beach in LBI for a week in mid-Sept 09 and could really use some help focusing my search.

I'm originally from the Philly area and very familiar with the beaches south of AC, but have never been to LBI. We both live in Southern Cal right now. He's a surfer and wants to 'experience' surfing in NJ. I heard LBI is supposed to be decent, but not sure which town(s) are best. From other forum posts, it sounds like each of the towns have their own character.

We're going in Sept to avoid the crowds and take advantage of the warmer water (and maybe swell from passing hurricanes). I expect this will be a 'rent it and they will come' scenario with my family in Philly, so we expect visitors - thus a well-kept medium size house would be the target. We do not need an area rich in entertainment for kids. Quiet is good.

Would appreciate any insights on:

1) the character of the different townships

2) which town you would recommend to find a nice beach (quiet) house and good surf

3) any particular streets/areas within that town having the best surf (very important)

I know it's a tall order, but am constantly amazed at the quality/depth of information I get from the people who post to tripadvisor.

Appreciate your input.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing in Sept - LBI

I will preface this by saying that I am not a surfer, but my family has owned a home on LBI for over 40 years. You are correct, each of the towns does have a different feel. Personally, I like the quiet up in Barnegat Light, and I understand there is good surfing up there. A friend, who's son is a big surfer, also says that there is some great surfing in Brant Beach, in the 40's and 50's (the blocks are numbered). Our house is in that area, and there are many surfers that show up late in the day, so there must be some truth to that.

Also, the very other end of the island, Holgate, past Beach Haven, is another favorite surfing spot.

You might want to post this question on lbi.net. There is a question and answer section, and the people on there are very knowledgeable about local issues. You don't have to sign up to post a question, so it's very user friendly. I think you will get an honest answer there.

As far as where to stay, the northern end of the island near Barnegat Light is very quiet. Personally, that would be my choice if I were renting. Many business will be closed for the season by the time you get there, or may just be open on the weekend. Beach Haven is the most active town, with many year round businesses. I doubt the beaches will be crowded anywhere on the island in September.

For rental information, you might want to try the classifieds on the local free newspaper, the Sandpaper. I'll post the link for you. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to help.

http://www.thesandpaper.net/

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing in Sept - LBI

Beach Haven has a lot open in Sep. Many businesses stay open until either Chowderfest (first weekend in Oct) or Columbus Day weekend.

There is a very large year round surfing community on LBI. I don't surf, but lots of neighbors/kids do. They often go to the beaches just south of the town center. Holyoke has a good reputation for surfing.

Beach Haven has many hotel/motels/Inns to select from, in addition many rentals will rent for partial weeks in the off season. See: www.shoresummerentals.com or www.homeaway.com

I also agree that lbi.net is a great source for more local information. You could also book your stay, then ask at the surf shops when you get down there where the action has been good. I know there are some surf websites that track the action as well.

3. Re: Surfing in Sept - LBI

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, October 14, 2009