We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Topic
Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

What do u think?

Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

Uh, yeah. I didn't even know this was here. Who calls it Long Beach???

rwa
Long Beach Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

Agreed! Nobody calls it "Long Beach" --- it's generally "LBI" or else the borough or area specified, i.e., Barnegat Light, Loveladies, Harvey Cedars, North Beach, Surf City, Ship Bottom, Brant Beach, Beach Haven Crest, Brighton Beach, Peahala, Beach Haven Park, Haven Beach, The Dunes, Beach Haven Terrace, Beach Haven Gardens, Spray Beach, North Beach Haven, Beach Haven, Smith Tract, Holgate, and Beach Haven Heights.

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

RWA - I believe just keeping it at LBI should be sufficient. Some of those areas you mention got their name via old marketing brochures and ads when they were doing housing and kind of ridiculous if you ask me. For example, I have a shore condo in Beach Haven Terrace (next to the Dunes), which literally is less than 10 blocks long. The Dunes is even less, like 6 blocks along the Boulevard. Anyway, maybe they should group some of these up, particularly where the names really arent used at all like the Dunes. I, for one, would actually like Beach Haven Terrace to be "condensed" into Spray Beach and be called Spray Beach, even though legally we would be part of Long Beach Township. It certainly would be easier to comrehend the "boundaries" for one thing. Obviously, legally separate municipalities like Surf City, Ship Bottom, Barnegat Light, Beach Haven would have to retain their respective names. When was the last time you heard anyone say "I live in the Dunes"??

Jersey
Level Contributor
17 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

If I heard that I would think it was a homeless person. And I haven't seen any homeless in LBI!

rwa
Long Beach Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

Lifetime year 'round local in Surf City here. Dewd, I have heard a few people say they live in "the Terrace" or "the Dunes" ... but I call it what most do - "the Township." When I lived for a few years in Beach Haven Park, that's what I said.

And gtbug, the "lure" of Long Beach has a long arm. :)

rwa
Long Beach Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

Have you seen that the Surf City Hotel is listed under "Long Beach hotels" in the "Browse" links section to your left? And the Dutchman's (located on Mallard Island affectionatly and historically known to us clamdiggers and dunehoppers as Mud City) is listed under "Beach Haven restaurants?"

I get a kick outta that. It's like using Mapquest ... some hits, some miss.

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

RWA - but I would definitely say most refer to it as LBT. If queried further, I say Spray Beach or North Beach Haven to give folks a reference of my shore condo on the 18 mile long island. RWA, what happened to Surf City Cafe? I'm so sad as that was one of my favorite eating establishments on LBI. I would even drive up there from Spray Beach :)

rwa
Long Beach Island...
Level Contributor
79 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

The Surf City Cafe? Closed? No surprise. Sorry, never went there. It was basically an ice cream parlor with some desserts offered as I recall. Frankly, I don't know what happened to it. I think I remember that it's in a strip of stores that is notorious for high turnover, and I hear the leases are high. With some bad weather, a power outage or brownout that causes ruin of product, difficulty in retaining and rewarding honest and chipper young help, cooler temperatures and/or cloudy or rainy days, or just about anything else to put off the tourist patrons in the limited 100-day window of opportunity, and phfft ... you're gone. Next tenant. Those type of seasonal businesses crop up and fizzle out so often it's hard to keep track. Once in a while, someone comes through with a winner.

The Sand Bar (next to George's) bit the dust again. Now, those two places were icons of Surf City in their day.

Do you know that Hand's in Ship Bottom was sold, closed after Christmas, and the building has been demolished? I remember it as the Ship Bottom 5&10. Hand's kept up well, and had found a niche, was open year 'round, and most Islanders liked it. It's a cleared empty lot now, and probably will be developed. <sniff> This, just after we lost the Brant Beach Colony movie theatre to "cottages" along the boulevard. Oh, well.

I also wonder what will become of the Exxon property in the middle of 8th & 9th at the island's entrance. It finally was sold this winter, or so the sign says. I remember when it was where the original Surf City Fishery stood. Then it was where the original, I mean THE original RonJon's first started selling and repairing boards.

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

RWA, the Surf City Cafe sold to new owners in 1999. In 2000, they reopened it with a nice food menu too and kept the ice cream shop running out of a side window. As it was my first full summer on weekends down there (having bought a one bed condo in Spray Beach for $72K in late 99) I got to know them well. Nice people & very good food. And she said they were doing really well. I guess they couldn't resist the appreciation, however. I think she said they bought it for $495K in 1999. So, another one bites the dust. Hand's Ship Bottom literally is dust as I type and Marvel's is boarded up & waiting for Wawa to make it dust. Also Honey Bubbles (both the bakery & food place) have been replaced by McMansions (lots of sawdust). The old Exxon site on the Ship Bottom Circle is still standing. From a retailers point of view it is a horrible location with access issues, but I'm sure they can locate some "cottages" there too! Is it true that Starbucks is going into the retail shops going up on the old Hands site? And Stone Cold Creamery?

NJ (of course!)
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shouldnt this be called Long Beach Island?

Update: the old Marvel's was demoed in mid-August. Wawa personnel at the Spray Beach store (which will be relocated to the new one) indicate that they expect to be in by Memorial Day, 2006. So no more lines out the door? Yeah, right!