We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PATH Stations

Which Jersey City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
1 post
Save Topic
PATH Stations

I'm planning on going into Manhattan on a weekend for a dinner and a night out afterwards, so we're talking about 7pm-3 or 4am timeframe here. I'm coming from Summit, NJ (I'm also new to the east coast) and I could have the options of:

1) driving into the city (yikes)

2) AMTRAK via Summit station (but I can't stay out past the last train -- bummer)

3) drive to a PATH station and go from there

Which one would be safest, since I'll be travelling by myself? For PATH stations, are any of them shady after 10pm? Any that are well-light and safe? I've only been at the JSQ station during the daytime, and even the parking structure at the concourse gave me the heebie jeebies. Thanks!

NJ-NY
Level Contributor
86 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PATH Stations

Recommend just driving in; traffic should be lighter both ways. Don't know if PATH runs that late; check their website. By driving, your car will be ready & waiting for you and you won't have to stand around waiting an additional 30-90 min for the next train. AMTRAK is very expensive and probably doesn't run either...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PATH Stations

Check the PATH website for parking information and schedule information. I lived in NJ years ago, and used PATH often. I would generally drive to the Harrison station, easily accessible from Route 280. The Harrison station is deserted late at night, but it did feel safe.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: PATH Stations

We live in downtown Jersey City with the Exchange Place & Grove Street PATH stations at walking distance and we even drive into the city if we plan on staying out until 3am. Having the car right there is easier than waiting for the PATH train that's in operation 24 hours a day. However, after 11:00 pm, the JSQ/HOB train is every 20 minutes and the WTC to NWK train is every 30 mintues. Imagine just missing one of those trains? It can seem like waiting forever.

Bite the bullet and just drive in. Depending on where you want to end up, you can ever find safe street parking in many of the neighborhoods of Manhattan like Greenwhich Village, Chelsea, Hells Kitchen. We rarely pay for a garage unless it's around the Theater District. Then you can take cabs and/or subway to where you want to go.

BTW, Amtrak & NJ Transit usually does not operate that late, so it's best taking your car in. At such late hours, you don't want to be at the mercy of a public transportation schedule.

4. Re: PATH Stations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 21, 2009