We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in Jersey City

Which Jersey City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
Level Contributor
162 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
safety in Jersey City

I am wondering just how safe it is in Jersey City. Some posts say not to go North or West. Others feel sorta unsafe near certain hotels. Can someone please give me some more insight on this? Thanks! =)

helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
148 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in Jersey City

Just watch your step and you will be more than OK. I wouldn't just go wandering but going with a purpose from place to place shouldn't be that bad. Stay close to the main streets etc.. There just isn't that many people out walking about maybe for that reason someone may feel like a target. Jersey City is not that affluent so there is a poverty question.

You got to try Loews theatre a real movie palace from the 20's nearly fully refurbished to its original plan. Right in journal square-Jersey City.

Jump on a PATH train straight to Manhattan in a few minutes.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in Jersey City

Are you looking for a hotel in Jersey City?

Certain areas are safe, and others I don't feel very comfortable in. You can stay in the safer areas, and if you venture out, like the last poster said, stick to main streets.

Colorado
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in Jersey City

Hi,

I'm looking at an appartment at

25 High Street

Jersey City, NJ 07036

Do you know if it and the the area between it and the PATH train are safe places?

Jersey City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in Jersey City

Jersey City is safe. I have lived here all my life and currently work in Grove Street, which is a few blocks away from most of the hotels. It's a major city, so it has the usual crime, but if you're not afraid of NYC, then you shouldn't be afraid of Jersey City.

Jersey City
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in Jersey City

Jersey city is a big city with many different neighborhoods, each one with different textures and income levels. I have lived here for five years in one of the working class areas and I have come back home on foot, alone (I am a young white female) at all hours of the night and I have never experienced any problem, if anything, I get compliments!

As in a city like New York, all will depend on the specific street you are on, but in most areas, one feels safe in Jersey City.

6. Re: safety in Jersey City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 28, 2009