We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Area around Ramada Jersey City - safety?

Germany
Level Contributor
259 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Area around Ramada Jersey City - safety?

We are looking at the Ramada Jersey City for our next trip to New York. We will be travelling with my in-laws who have never been to the States. It will be there first Impression of the country. Looking at Google maps the area seems to be pretty run down and I wonder whether it is it safe to walk there in the evening, let's say around 8.00 p.m., to restaurants and from the path station back to the hotel?

Thank you

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Area around Ramada Jersey City - safety?

Why this hotel?

There are better choices.

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,455 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Area around Ramada Jersey City - safety?

I agree with Li K. if your main goal is to see NYC stay in NYC.

Germany
Level Contributor
259 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Area around Ramada Jersey City - safety?

If you pick up the bill, I will gladly oblige and book a NYC Hotel. If not, I am afraid we will have to stay in New Jersey.

Any qualified comments about the safety of that area?

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,776 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Area around Ramada Jersey City - safety?

If you post your information on the Trip Advisor New York City forum, they will help you find a hotel in New York City. Give them your exact dates and number of beds needed. They are good at this.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,071 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Area around Ramada Jersey City - safety?

Also which airport you are flying into if this has been decided already

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
877 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Area around Ramada Jersey City - safety?

The Ramada Inn is in the Journal Square section of Jersey City. During the day, there's a large number of small shops and stores that operate along the walk between Ramada and the PATH (subway) station. Those tend to close up around 7pm or so (although the Fried chicken place and the McDonalds are 24 hrs if I recall correctly). I wouldn't call the area run-down, and it's frequented by enough pedestrian and vehicle traffic that it would not feel desolate at night.

Would I stay there out of convenience and price to NYC? Sure. But just keep in mind that it's not like other parts of NJ (Downtown Jersey City, Hoboken) where you can walk out of the hotel and find a number of good restaurants. [The key exception is if you like Indian food, there are a number of good Indian restaurants about a 5 min walk away from the hotel]

7. Re: Area around Ramada Jersey City - safety?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 11, 2014