We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking at night - Jersey City

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Walking at night - Jersey City

Hi,

I hate asking these kinds of questions but I have read more then once that Jersey City is not the safest place. I am looking at staying at the Days Inn or the Comfort Inn, both on Tonnelle Ave, North Bergen. I expect to be using public transit to come back to the hotel at night 11 - 12pm. I believe I would exit the bus on Kennedy & 10th? Can someone tell me if is safe to walk in this area at night.

also if you know of a better route to get to/from NYC from this area please do share.

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking at night - Jersey City

I should have mentioned that the bus I believe I would be taking is the 125 (Kennedy & 10th).

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
895 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking at night - Jersey City

If you stay at the Days Inn in North Bergen, you would likely have to get off around 28th street and Kennedy. There is a Toys R Us at the stop that you can use as a landmark. From there you'd walk down the path alongside of the highway (30th street) as it loops around towards Columbia Ave. (this is not Jersey City, by the way, this is now North Bergen - the next town over).

As far as safety, everything in the vicinity would be closed around midnight, but the Sonic (fast food burgers) should still be open, so it won't be completely desolate. I do not think there is any large safety issue in the area, as there are still lots of cars driving by.

On the other hand, if you stay at the Comfort Suites (also North Bergen), you would get off on 10th and Kennedy as you mentioned. This area is more heavily trafficked even at night (there is a 24 hr diner on the corner, also a Dunkin Donuts, a dive bar, etc.). If you walk from there to Tonnelle, you would be walking through a residential neighborhood and then alongside a highway. I think that area is pretty safe.

I would rate the walk to the Comfort Suites as slightly better than the walk to the Days Inn, although both are certainly doable.

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
895 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking at night - Jersey City

As far as another route to take to the area - if you are staying out very late in NYC (let's say past 2am at a bar or club), then I'm not sure if the regular buses run this late. However, there are small minibuses that you can take from Port Authority in NYC. They will drop you off near the corner of 30th and Kennedy (you have to make sure to tell the driver you want to get off at that intersection - otherwise they will take you for a loooong ride to another part of the state :) ).

If you take this route, you would take the minibus on 42nd Street in New York (between 8th and 9th avenues). The bus terminal itself closes late at night, so the vans regularly line up outside (the one you are interested in says Gate 51 on the top).

[note - this option is really only convenient to the Days Inn, and not to the Comfort suites]

Edited: 1:32 pm, August 12, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking at night - Jersey City

Hi,

Thanks very much for all the info. I am leaning towards the Comfort Inn as the rate includes breakfast and now that you say the walk is better that helps my decision. We are 4 women travelling together (2 in our late 40s and our daughters, early 20s), no plans to go clubbing but rather just hanging out in NYC "people watching" in Times Square etc well into the evening.

I read somewhere that the walk to get the bus at 10th and Kennedy is straight up hill (someone compared it to "San Francisco" type of hill). I am in pretty good shape so this doesn't worry me, just wondering if that is an exaggeration or not.

Do you know when the buses stop running? How much are those private vans?

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
895 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking at night - Jersey City

The minibuses should be no more than $3 per person each way (can't remember if it's 2.50 or 3...anyway it's not a lot). The problem with the minibus is that it does not turn left onto Kennedy Blvd late at night (let's say after midnight). So if you happen to stay out in NYC until very late, and you want to take the minibus that is waiting outside Port Authority, they will only take you as far as 30th and Kennedy. From there, it's a long walk to the Comfort Suites (or you could arrange for a taxi to pick you up from there).

As a point of comparison, a taxi from Times Square to your hotel in NJ will easily run you upwards of $70 per ride + tip. Taxis from NYC into NJ do not run on the meter, and they are free to charge as high as they want. However, from a convenience standpoint it certainly is pretty easy.

Looks like the last 125 bus leaves around midnight on Sat night (Sun morning): http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0125.pdf. The minibuses run pretty much throughout the night (I've definitely taken them around 3-4am on occasions).

As far as hills, I don't think 10th street is that hilly. If you look on Google Maps for Thorne Street in jersey City (just west of Liberty Ave), the street is so inclined that they actually have set up handrails on either side of the sidewalk! (10th street does not have these handrails, so I think the incline is not as bad, and you should be ok).

Edited: 3:13 pm, August 12, 2013
Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
895 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking at night - Jersey City

Also note that in NJ, you will not find taxis roaming around looking to pick up passengers (as they do in NYC). In NJ, you have to call the cab company directly and arrange a pick up. Many people from out of town incorrectly assume they can just "wave a cab" down in NJ, so I wanted to clarify that for you first.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
701 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking at night - Jersey City

Hi again,

Midnight should be late enough but it is good to know about the mini busses...I will be sure to have the # for a taxi company handy should we need to arrange a pick up. The taxi situation is the same here. If one were downtown Ottawa a taxi could be flagged at almost any time whereas in the suburbs there is no chance of finding a taxi.

If I think of other questions i'll send you a Msg.

Thanks again.

M

8. Re: Walking at night - Jersey City

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, August 14, 2014