We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School Visit

Epworth, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
School Visit

Hi,

I am accompying 30 British Students to New York April 2012 and we are staying at The Ramada New Jersey city, can someone give me some advice about transporting from New Jersey to the tourist areas of New York.

Any advice is much appreciated

Maxine

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: School Visit

You didn't research this before reserving this hotel?????

Personally, it is an extremely poor choice.

Google PATH.

Edited: 7:05 am, September 20, 2011
Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,864 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School Visit

From your hotel you can walk to Journal Square where there is a PATH station which you can use to get into NYC.

http://www.panynj.gov/path/

I agree that it seems rather odd that you would make reservations at a hotel for that many students without knowing how to get into Manhattan. Since Path is not part of the New York subway system they will end up spending money that could have been avoided by staying in NYC.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,189 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School Visit

Leaving aside the question of whether it was wise to make the reservation without investigating this, presumably what's driving the choice of hotels is price, and that being the case, there's nothing wrong with using PATH to get in and out of NYC. I imagine they're saving in the vicinity of $100/night per room, which would come to $1,500 day for 30 people at double occupancy! The hotel is a block away from the Journal Square PATH which affords very easy access to NYC and only costs $2.00/ride. The time you spend commuting will be very minor as compared to what you will save. Many, many, many people do this.

Now, I haven't been in that exact area for some time, but I am pretty sure it will look run-down but I'm also sure it's safe at all hours, especially as you'll be traveling in groups. Just remember that while PATH is 24x7, very late at night service (past midnight) is only every 30 min. Here's the link to the schedule that applies to you -- put in 33rrd street to Journal Square as your destinations www.panynj.gov/path/full-schedules.html . The 33rd street station is at 6th ave, you can put this into google maps to see where this relates to everything in Manhattan. From 33rd street you can get walk or get on a NYC subway.

Another option for you, at a price that may match what the Ramada is chargin, is to stay in Queens or Long Island City. The advantage is that while you would be outside of Manhattan you would still be walkable to a NYC subway station so your commute into Manhattan would be somewhat easier. If you ask about this on the NYC forum they can give you some properties to check.

Edited: 9:35 am, September 20, 2011
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,612 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: School Visit

I remember the hotel being more than a block from the Journal Square station. However if I remeber is just a block off Journal Square. That said there is plenty to see in New Jersey. Here are a few links.

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.destinationmontclair.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.exit82.com

www.findsomerville.com

www.glasstownartsdistrict.com

www.gocentraljersey.com

www.historicsmithvillenj.com

www.morristown-nj.org

www.newbrunswickrocks.com

www.njsouthernshore.com

www.lambertville.org

www.atlanticcitynj.com

www.goelizabethnj.com

www.mullicahill.com

www.asburyboardwalk.com

www.mainstreetmountholly.com

www.newbrunswick.com

www.ocnj.us

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,189 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School Visit

I called the hotel and they described it as a block and half from the PATH station

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: School Visit

I'm sure it will be fun herding 30 students on and off the PATH during rush hour.

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
887 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School Visit

The Ramada inn is about a 5 minute walk to the PATH train in Jersey City. Personally, I think it's situated in an ideal location for transport into New York City. Being near Journal Square gives you two options; 1) you can take the PATH (subway) into New York for easy access to the Financial District (9/11 memorial and South Street Seaport) or to any of a variety of other popular locations in NYC (Greenwich village on 9th street, Herald Square / Empire State Building / Macys at the 33rd st stop).

Alternatively, 2) you can take a bus or commuter van into New York Port Authority (for easy access to Times Square / Broadway).

Staying at the Ramada is preferable to staying to a similarly priced hotel in Queens, as the commute is about half the time from most Queens locations.

Staying inside Manhattan is obviously preferable from a commuting perspective, but the value / price is much better operating out of Jersey City, especially with such a large group.

Finally, the area around the Ramada, while not luxurious, is not run down. There are a ton of small shops / stores, including pizzerias, fried chicken, McDonalds, cheap clothing stores, and a dollar store that should have any quick items that you may need to buy. There's also a larger grocery store on Sip Ave about 3 blocks from the hotel.

Good luck and enjoy your stay.

Edited: 10:13 am, September 21, 2011
8. Re: School Visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, October 23, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Jersey City