We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking recommendation near/at Liberty State Park

Which Jersey City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Parking recommendation near/at Liberty State Park

I was reading a post about someone who parked at Liberty State Park and had their car broken in -- they claim the security/police there indicated "it happens all the time". We'll be doing the Lady Liberty tour and getting there with a rental mini-van (with plates likely from Virginia). The parking situation has me concerned.

I'm essentially wanting to get experience from others if there are 'better' parking options available near the park? Should I avoid the ferry parking area? Thanks.

Jersey City
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking recommendation near/at Liberty State Park

It's a city, things will happen. Just be smart, don't leave your window open and don't leave your GPS out in the open.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking recommendation near/at Liberty State Park

I wanted to follow-up regarding our visit and the parking experience. I think departing from the Jersey is really the way to go...very small crowd the morning of Aug. 28th (Sat). Since we got there early (about 8:45am), we were able to park close to the entrance of the terminal pathway, so more people were coming and going by the car...which I think helps discourage the chance of someone messing with it.

When you pull into the lot, it appears the terminal is right there...don't be fooled...what you are seeing is an abandoned portion of the terminal. You'll want to park in the North-East portion of the parking lot, which is closest to beginning of the pathway to the terminal.

There is a bit of a walk on the pathway from the parking lot, but you can drive up to the entrance for drop-off or pick-up (but you need to make it quick, as there are signs indicating not to park...but the tour buses do anyway). There is a parking lot closer to the entrance, but there is a 2-hour limit. We ended up spending 4 hours total going to both Ellis and Liberty islands. It was really an enjoyable morning.

By the way, make sure to have cash to pay for parking -- no credit cards accepted.

Jersey City
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking recommendation near/at Liberty State Park

Thanks for the follow-up! Glad you had a good experience! :D

4. Re: Parking recommendation near/at Liberty State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 15, 2011