We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive to Liberty State Park

Which Jersey City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Utah
Level Contributor
168 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Drive to Liberty State Park

I will be driving from Philadelphia to the Courtyard in Jersey City on a Sunday evening. I want to stop at Liberty State Park on the way to the hotel to get a view of the Statue of Liberty. From looking at the map it looks like I take exit 14B off of I-78. Where do I go from there? Is it easy to park? Is there a fee to get in to a viewing area?

Thank You.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive to Liberty State Park

state.nj.us/dep/…liberty.html

Jersey City
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive to Liberty State Park

there is no fee to get to the viewing area, you can see the Statue from many tons of places in the park.

Utah
Level Contributor
168 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive to Liberty State Park

Thank you. I had read the website but it is not helpful for where to park, where the viewing areas are, or the park hours. It says open at 6:00 am but does not list a close time. I have also tried to call and either no one answers or the line is busy.

Jersey City
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive to Liberty State Park

http://www.getnj.com/lsp/lspferry.shtml

>>

Ferry service from Liberty State Park to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty is available throughout the year. A pay parking lot is provided at the ferry boat docking facility for the convenience of ferry service passengers. (There is free parking at Liberty State Park. But, depending on the number of visitors for any particular day, it may be some distance from the ferry slip.)

The ferry sails every day, weather permitting, except for Christmas day. The service begins at 8:30 a.m. and ends at 4:00 p.m.

The fee is $10 for adults, $8 for seniors over the age of sixty-two, $8 for children between the age of 4 and 12, and $4 for toddlers through the age of 3.

The ferry goes to both the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. There is no admission fee to either monument.

Parking at Liberty State Park is $5 per car. <<

I don't know when this website was updated, I volunteer at the Science Center which in right next to LSP and parking there is $7, the parking fee goes to the LSP..so it might be $7..but yeah there is free parking you can pretty much see the SOL (at least the back of it) from just about everywhere..

Edited: 5:35 pm, March 30, 2010
Utah
Level Contributor
168 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive to Liberty State Park

I finally got someone on the phone at the Park. He told me to get off the freeway and drive straight down the road to a parking lot where I can park and walk to an observation area. No fees. Park closes at 10:00 pm.

Jersey City
Level Contributor
118 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive to Liberty State Park

Yup that should work! Have a great trip! :D

7. Re: Drive to Liberty State Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 27, 2010