We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

Hi

We need to get from the Westin to Penn Station, so I could catch the Path to 33rd street. Question is if we get on at 8.30am with lugguge it be too crowded? I don't want to annoy commuters.

Secondly is there a drama catching a cab from the Westin to Penn Station?

Thanks

Jodi

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,898 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

33rd is in the oppasite direction from Penn. Take the Newark train from Exchange Place to Newark. THe PATH's Newark stop is in Penn Station.

www.panynj.gov/path

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
895 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

Hi

Just to clarify:

There are two stations nearby that are commonly referred to as "Penn Station".

1. Newark Penn Station, in Newark NJ. You could get from the Westin to this station via the PATH train, but you would have to take 2 trains.

2. New York Penn Station , in New York City. You could get here by taking the 33rd street PATH train, getting off at 33rd street, and then walking one block over (the NY Penn station is on 34th st I believe).

Which of these 2 train stations do you need to go to?

If you are taking a taxi cab from the Westin to Newark Penn station, there should be no issues. It might be a little expensive, but the concierge can easily call a cab so you won't have to "flag" one down.

If you take luggage on the PATH train at 830 in the morning, it will be very crowded with rush hour commuters. It might be worth the extra expense to take a cab at this time of the day regardless of where are you are going

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

Thanks for the responses, I mean New York Penn station, I am catching the Amtrak to Washington. I thought that I could walk from 33rd st PATH station to Penn Station.

I will catch a taxi, I know the people with lugguge in peak hour on trains infuriate me in Sydney so I won't inflict that on the NJ commuters!

Regards

Jodi

West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
11,898 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

IMO if your going to DC heading into NY makes no sense. Your train will stop in Newark as well.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

Going back into NYC Penn Station is totally unnecessary.

Just take the PATH to NEWARK Penn Station. Every single Amtrak train stops there!

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
895 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

the problem is the amount of luggage the OP has and the time of day (peak morning rush hour). If you have one regular sized bag, it may not be too bad to take the PATH train there. If you have 2 or more bags, then it might get a bit crowded.

if you're definitely going to take a taxi, ask the driver (or ask the concierge) in advance what the rates to New York Penn station and Newark Penn station will be. The drive to both should be about the same (taking into account morning traffic), so you might want to go wherever the cab rate is cheaper.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

If the issue is luggage, then just take a taxi to NEWARK Penn Station.

*AGAIN*, no need to go to NYC Penn Station.

Simple?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

Thanks everyone, I have purchased our Amtrak ticket on-line and the email says I can collect at any Amtrak station.

So, can I just collect the tickets at Newark station, even though the ticket says from Penn Station?

Thanks again for all the help.

Jodi

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

You can pick up your ticket at any Amtrak station.

You do realize that there are two Penn Stations?

I hope you bought the ticket for correct trip that you are trying to make.

In other words, if you are starting from NYC Penn Station a ticket that starts from Newark Penn Station isn't going to work for you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
400 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxi or PATH to Penn Station

Hi

I have purchased tickets from New York Penn Station, and I have just looked at the route and the next stop is Newark station, so I would be boarding at a later station, not an earlier one.

I have emailed Amtrak to ask if I can board at Newark, which is obviously more sensible.

Thanks

Jodi