We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

I've been trying to put together my travel plan to get from JFK to my hotel, and i think i have it figured out now, but would appreciate a quick check!

Okay, so we will take the Air Train from JFK to Jamaica - $5, then change onto the LIRR to New York Penn Station - $12, then walk one block to 33rd St and take the PATH to Pavonia/Newport station - $1.75. According to my calculations, it should take around 1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins, not taking in to account waiting times, and cost $18.75. Although i think we will buy a weekly SMARTlink ticket for the PATH.

Jersey City, NJ USA
Destination Expert
for Jersey City
Level Contributor
887 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

sounds about right. it's a bit of a hassle but if it's warm enough and youre not in a rush, then you should be fine.

just make sure your incoming/outgoing flight isnt late at night. the area by the hotel is nice at all nights, and nyc is bustling at all times, but if i remember correctly, the station at the terminal is probably going to be pretty desolate late night.. at least it was at laguardia airport when i traveled out of there.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

I wouldn't buy the SMARTlink ticket just for PATH.

The pay-per-ride Metrocard will work on PATH and on NYC buses and subways.

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

Thanks for the advice. Our flight arrives into JFK at 1:20pm, and then i actually leave out of Newark at 8:50pm, but as i need to get there 3 hours before, i'll probably be leaving from Jersey City around 5pm, so i'll probably take the hotel shuttle to Exchange Place then go one stop to Pavonia to transfer onto the correct line for Newark Penn station.

Regarding the SMARTlink card, i thought it would be a cheaper option to buy one of those and an unlimited Metro weekly card, as we will probably be backwards and forwards to Manhattan a fair bit, probably twice a day, so would probably work out cheaper than a pay as you go Metro.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

So, you are planning NEVER to use public transportation once your SMARTlink card gets you into Manhattan. You are going to taxi or walk everywhere? Is that what you are saying?

THINK!

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

No, if you'd read my post properly, you'd see that i'd said we were going to buy a Smart link card AND a weekly Metro card, as we thought that would cheaper than buying a a pay as you go Metro card, as if we take two trips per day on the PATH that's 4 x $1.75, then various trips on the Metro per day at $1.50 a pop, just seems to me would work our more expensive that paying $18 for a weekly Smartlink ticket, and $20-$25 for a weekly Metro ticket.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

If you say so.

Those weekly Metrocards aren't shareable, so each one of you will need one.

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

Yes, i know. Thanks.

I am open to other suggestions, it's just that when i worked out the fares PAYG wise, it did seem to be alot more expensive than buying a weekly ticket for the PATH and then one for the Metro. We are staying for 6 nights, if we were staying for less, then would probably get a PAYG, but say for example on a average day we did:

Morning - PATH to Manhattan - $1.75

Two Metro trips - $4.00

Afternoon - PATH to JC - $1.75

Evening - PATH t0 Manhattan - $1.75

Two Metro trips - $4.00

$13.25 per day x 6 = $79.50

Whereas if we buy a weekly Smartlink, i believe that is $18, and then a weekly Metro which is $25, that works out to $43. I know you get 11 rides for the price of 10 with the PAYG metro card, but it stills seems to work out more expensive that way. But please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

No, you DO NOT know.

Did you read the terms of the weekly SMARTlink card???

I doubt it, because it says that once swiped, you cannot use that same card for another 18 minutes. Unless you plan on swiping it once for one of you to go through and then wait another 18 minutes to swipe and let the other person go through, you will need TWO cards for two people. Count them. TWO.

2 x $18 = $39

And, then let's discuss that weekly unlimited ride Metrocard. It also has the same 18-minute wait between uses.

2 x $25 = $50

London, England
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

Yes, but i'm only budgeting for myself, i'm travelling with a friend, so won't be paying for her! She'll be paying for her own. But even if we did get a pay as you ride card, if we both use it, won't we have to put double the amount on it anyway? Sorry, i'm just struggling to see how a pay as you ride is more cost effective than two weekly tickets.

You sound quite annoyed in your message, you didn't have to reply, you know!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from JFK to the Candlewood Suites

Why do I bother? I must be loco.

Get answers to your questions about Jersey City