We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Lee/Hackensack area hotels

NY
14 posts
Save Topic
Fort Lee/Hackensack area hotels

I am looking for a moderately priced hotel and it needs to be a safe area for a single woman. I will be taking the train into NYC so I was looking for a hotel with train accessibility nearby.

Mentioned in this post
3 replies to this topic
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,850 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Lee/Hackensack area hotels

Neither Fort Lee or Hackensack are good locations for a NYC visit (I live 7 min from Fort Lee and less than 1 mile from Hackensack) unless you plan on driving in.

If you're looknig to stay in NJ as a base for visting NYC so as to save money, all your NJ options are listed here (put together by frequent poster broadwaynyc) www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/nj_nyc.html

1st choice (but most expensive) will be hotels in within walking distance to PATH which is a subway system that goes between NJ and NYC (and is not afilliated with the NYC subway). Also consider the Newark Gateway Hilton as that has an enclosed path to the Newark train station.

2nd choice are hotels in Weehawken because they are close to the ferry (quick, convenient, scenic, expensive, limited service late and on weekends) but also have an extremely easy commute via bus. Very safe even after midnight.

3rd choice (and cheapest) are the hotels in Secaucus. They have excellent bus service to and from NYC (but longer than the Weehawken) and will be be quite safe even after midnight. Here's a map of the parts of Secaucus I'm talking about http://www.harmonmeadow.com/map/HMmap.pdf -- NJ Transit bus #320 to NYC is what serves this area and here's its schedule http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf -- last bus to NYC is 1:00 am Mon thru Sat and 12:35 AM Sundays. You'll be surprised at how many people will be on it late at night.

When getting on any NJ Transit bus in NJ purchase a round trip ticket from the driver (cash only, change given) as drivers DO NOT ACCEPT CASH at the Port Authority Bus Terminal (PABT) in NYC (you have buy a ticket from a machine or agent). The round trip fare for adults from either Weehawken or Secaucus is $6.40.

Do not assume you can't afford to stay in NYC -- post your dates of travel and budget on the NYC forum to see if someone there can find you someting. Don't forget to include round trip bus fares for all of you when you figure out the cost of staying in NJ.

The only real issue with commuting in by bus (and I do this every weekday for work) is that it's unrealistic to expect to return to your hotel in late afternoon to rest up and then go out again for dinner and a show. The reason is that you'll be right in the middle of the evening rush. If you just expect that once in the city, you'll stay in the city, you'll have no problem. Read the reviews on TA, they will tell you what you can expect commute-wise.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Weehawken
Weehawken
New Jersey
Secaucus
Secaucus
New Jersey
West Windsor...
Destination Expert
for Newark, New Jersey, Binghamton
Level Contributor
12,231 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Lee/Hackensack area hotels

THere are 2 train stations in Hackensack however neither one is by a hotel or direct to NYC. Ft. Lee has no train and walking can be a nightmare. THere is also plenty to see in New Jersey as well. here are a few links

www.visitnj.org

www.goironbound.com

www.njskylands.com

www.capemay.com

www.redbank.com

www.visitsouthjersey.com

www.stayinthemeadowlands.com

www.wildwoodsnj.com

www.myjerseyshore.Com

www.destinationjerseycity.com

www.destinationtrenton.com

www.myartmymillville.com