We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Jersey to Visit NYC

Seattle
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Jersey to Visit NYC

Me and my family are visiting relatives in Buffalo during November. While there, we decided to visit NYC... well, lets say I was in sticker shock looking for hotels in Manhatten.

So we decided to look in New Jersey, and commute daily to NYC to sightsee.

I am hoping to get some advice on hotels/motels.

We will be traveling with some children and infants, and with our size group, will need at least two rooms.

We would like to have easy access to transportation to NYC via transit.

A little overwhelmed with all the choices, and some of the transportation issues. There some places we read about which sounded ok, but worried about walking, whether near major thoroughfares or distance with young children.

Although we will be out alot (depending on how the children do), we do want a 'decent' room to be comfortable in. And while not very important, a hotel with some amenities would be nice-pool, restaurants, close to other food places)

Here are some choices we came up with so far. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

1) Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth / Liberty Int. Airport

(This is my first choice, but worried about distance and easy access to NYC)

2) Hilton Newark Airport

3) Four Points by Sheraton Newark Airport

4) Super 8 Motel - North Bergen

Any other choices I should look at?

Thanks for any advice.

Confused in Seattle.

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Jersey to Visit NYC

my website covers all of this

http://www.broadwayfocus.com/nj_nyc/

email me if you have any more questions

CT
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Jersey to Visit NYC

Broadwaywaynes link provides an excellent summary. If you go to the New York City forums and post a search for staying in New Jersey, you will probably find lots of links as this has been discussed repeatedly. You don't mention when in November you are visiting, but the early part of the month has high prices due to the NY marathon, then the Thanksgiving rates kick in later. If you look to avoid those dates, you may get better rates. Travelling with small children and infants, as a mom, I would recommend looking hard at trying to find accomodations in Manhattan so that you could easily go back to the hotel for the kids to nap, and the adults can drop packages and freshen up. It could make the entire trip more doable. If that remains out the question, I would look in Jersey City on the Path line, for the easiest commute into the city.

Seattle
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Jersey to Visit NYC

Thanks for the link broadwaynyc. We have actually narrowed a few places in Secaucus. Great helpful website.

Yankeemom: we just can't pull off budget wise staying right in Manhattan. We are having to pay for my wifes sisters trip as well. We plan on breaking up the group and city visits so the children aren't out all day long.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still trying to get more reading/research in. Having never been to any part of NY, I am very excited!!

4. Re: Staying in Jersey to Visit NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 09, 2009