We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weekend getaway in July

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Union City, NJ
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Weekend getaway in July

Hello-

I've never been to Cape May, and was wondering if it a place for a nice weeknd getaway. My husband and I are celebrating our 1st wedding anniversary in July. And I was wondering if Cape May is a nice place for couples and people around our age. Any suggestions of activities, things to do, or places to stay?

NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weekend getaway in July

You didn't mention your age. Cape May is quiet, family-oriented. Good restaurants, nice beach, good shopping. If you're young (20's or 30's), you'd probably prefer Wildwood, where there's a big boardwalk with 4 piers of rides, etc. and a lot of nightlife. You can always stay in Wildwood Crest (not quite as crazy as Wildwood), and visit Cape May for a good seafood dinner or a whale watching trip. Cape May's hotels are mostly historic, and you have to watch out in the summer - many do not have AC! Write back if you have more questions.

Cape May
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Weekend getaway in July

I do not agree with the other reply to you. Cape May is a most romantic place for a 1st anniversary or anytime. Besides plenty of wonderful restaurants there is also nighttime entertainment and even daytime music at some clubs.There are plays and tours. Believe me, you will want to return and try the things you will not get a chance to get to on your first trip

Cape May Lady

Hicksville, NY
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weekend getaway in July

I agree with the one writer that Cape May is a very romantic and beautiful place and is a great place to go for a 1st wedding anniversary. There are so many things to do and there are great restaurants. I have been there with my husband, and also with my friends. This year I am going with my teenage children. There is something to do for all ages!

ocnj
Level Contributor
31 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weekend getaway in July

If it's not to late to get a reservation your best bet without any doubt is Cape May I don't care what anyone tell you about anyother places. But having said that I think you will find it a little difficult to get a reservation for the 4 th of July time frame your looking for and if you do get something expect it to be fairly expensive (no matter where you look for that matter) It's the biggest weekend of the summer.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weekend getaway in July

Cape May is a fabulous weekend getaway, and with a little planning you could have a wonderful and romantic anniversary there! My wife and I have been married 5 years, and have spent two anniversaries there. If you like B & Bs, there are some outstanding ones in Cape May (and it is hard to beat a nice B&B for romance!). If you like nice restaurants, there are so many great ones here you'll have a hard time just picking one for your anniversary dinner. For activities, there's always the beach during the day, or rent bikes and ride around and see the town. In the evenings there are romantic horse drawn carriage tours of the town.

new jersey
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weekend getaway in July

Another place you may want to consider is the Woolverton Inn in Stanhope (I think that is the name of the town), New Jersey. My husband and I go there every year for a weekend. We think it's the most romantic place on earth, and I've travelled a lot. Good Luck and Happy 1st Anniversary!

NJ
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weekend getaway in July

While I agree that Cape May is nice, I prefer something a little more exciting. I found Cape May traffic in the summer to be horrendous, and it was nearly impossible to get into a good restaurant at dinner time on a weekend. The beach is beautiful; a trip to the lighthouse is a "must see"; and I agree there are very nice (but expensive) places to stay, I prefer other towns on the Jersey shore. For example, Ocean City is very nice, with a huge boardwalk, and you never even have to move your car. Wildwood Crest has the most unbelievable beach, and you can stay at the beginning of the Wildwood boardwalk, which I find very exciting. Also, Wildwood's little downtown cobblestone area of clubs and restaurants can't be beat. Don't get me wrong, I do like Cape May, but it's not the only town on the Jersey shore. (Spring Lake is very romantic, and much further north, if you don't want to make the long trek to the tip of NJ.)

New Jersey
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Weekend getaway in July

Cape May is a great place for both romance and fun. There are tons of things to do there from the beach, shopping, tours and dining. I have stayed at the Grand Hotel, which isn't a 5 star hotel, but has a great location to the beach, boardwalk and resaturant. The mall is very nice, as well as the other shops in town. Also, I did a ghost tour when we were there...was a bit cheesey, but gave us some great history and feel for Cape May. My friends have stayed at the Inns, but we tend to like our privacy, that we didn't get at some of them. Good luck and happy 1st!

media, pa
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weekend getaway in July

Cape May is a wonderful and romance place to visit. We got married there 6 years ago and visit several times a year. Sometimes we just go for a day, but when we stay overnight, we like the "Brass Bed" bed and breakfast. We have been staying there for years, it feels like a second home to us. It is close enough to walk to everything, but far enough from the noise of the restaurant and shopping areas. We found that Beach Ave, Ocean St. and Jackson St. were too noisy for our liking during the summer months.