We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Cape May

Ontario
Level Contributor
751 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Cape May

We will be staying in AC, and would like to drive to Cape May for the day. We love to walk. We would be happy to stop at the beach. We would be happy to walk through historical areas and look at the homes/history.

We will be with a 16 month old. He is great in his stroller.

Any ideas? Where to start? Are there any self guided walking tours?

wilmington
Level Contributor
291 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Cape May

The Mid Atlantic Center for the Arts has a self guided walking tour you can download to your ipod or use their handheld. It is around $10. They are located at the Physick Estate on Washington Street, which has parking. Their website would also have a lot of ideas about what to do, including trolley ride tours of the area. Just google mac cape may.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,900 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Cape May

I suggest that you visit on a weekday. To the right of your post, there are top questions about Cape May. Under the heading is a link for "What is there to do in Cape May?" One suggestion is to take the trolley tour. There is free parking available at the start of the tour. When you return, walk to the beach and stroll along the promenade. Walk back to the Washington Street Mall. Stop in one of the several outdoor dining establishments. Read all of the options and choose whatever appeals to you. Have a nice trip.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day in Cape May

I suggest you visit Cape May Zoo http://www.capemaycountyzoo.org/ and capemaycountygov.net/Cit-e-Access/… It's FREE. Donations gladly accepted

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One day in Cape May

the Zoo is an excellent suggestion ,but be aware its not in Cape May City. It's the Cape May COUNTY Zoo, and its located in the Center of the County, just off Route 9.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day in Cape May

At least one of the links I provided offers directions during construction. This one time in bandcamp... Tee~hee! One visit, I'm in the back of my SIL's minivan and she lives in MD and she is on the GSP asking for directions. I say to make a right at the 1st traffic signal. She drives for a little bit, turns around and asks: 'What are the REAL directions?' We had to explain that there is traffic signals on the GSP [now being remodeled & these signals will become a thingy of the past]

And here are the detour directions from the link: 'Zoo Garden State Parkway Exit Detour

Due to construction on the Garden State Parkway (GSP), Exit 11 has been closed.

FROM GSP NORTH:

Take GSP Exit 10, turn right at light. Go to next light turn right (Route 9). Go 2 miles to next traffic light turn left, Zoo entrance'

Ontario
Level Contributor
751 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day in Cape May

Thanks for your tips and ideas.

I have done some research and was very surprized to see that it costs $6 pp to go to the beach....?

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: One day in Cape May

AC, Strathmere, & the Wildwoods are the only beachtag~less beachtowns in NJ that I know of. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_tag If y'all want to spend a day at the beach, AC is least expensive as you're there, and it's free. Where are y'all staying in AC? I can likely give tips. Here is an old post of mine of a favorite thingy we like to do when in AC. My DH, SIL & Niece all just did this Memorial Day Weekend tripadvisor.com/…50880280 If I repost it here, the links don't come through successfully

wilmington
Level Contributor
291 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: One day in Cape May

You only need to pay between 10 and 5 to get on the sand. It is free if you just want to stroller along the promenade and look out on the beach, visit the arcades and shop (and eat at McGlades right on the beach, hidden next to Convention Hall). The promenade is paved and about a mile long.

Ontario
Level Contributor
751 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: One day in Cape May

rship1 - we are staying at the Wyndham in AC - staying mid July - mid week.

Thanks for all your help!

We will swim in AC and avoid the beach tag.

conn
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: One day in Cape May

the state park is free but no swiming allowed well worth the stop you can climb the lighthouse for a small fee