We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape May. What to do with little kids?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
198 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cape May. What to do with little kids?

Hi,

I was recommended to look into Cape May as a great destination for families with little kids wanting no waves beach. What do you think?

Also, if we choose to go, what would be the attraction spots for children?

Thank you.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape May. What to do with little kids?

Here is an old post of mine that I need to update the links occasionally + readd the links that are shortened by TA >>in Clermont is Cape May Wicker. You may have been to the one in Cape May, but this one is huge. There is no website, it does business by word~of~mouth.. or we could call it a well~known secret. Cape May Wicker 1930 N Route 9, Cape May Court House, NJ 08210 (609) 624-3031 ‎

Once you've parked you can visit two other places on foot

Next door is Teaberry Antiques www.marketplaceatteaberry.com/index.html

Accross Rt9 is Woodland Village It's a bunch of little shops including a butterfly house flickr.com/photos/… Here is a YouTube video I just found for Woodland Village http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usQsViqrlT8 Please use caution when crossing rt9 as there is no signal and the speed limit is 50mph

Also, visit the Cape May Zoo [near the ↑above↑]. Its FREE, donations gladly accepted capemaycountygov.net/Cit-e-Access/… <<

I highly suggest both the zoo & butterfly world [or whatever it's called in Woodland Village]. The other places they just may enjoy too

Edited: 12:20 pm, January 07, 2014
2. Re: Cape May. What to do with little kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:34 pm, February 03, 2014
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
198 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape May. What to do with little kids?

Thank you for a valuable info! Will look into it closely.

One more question (just to make sure): Cape May beaches are bay beaches with no waves, right?

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape May. What to do with little kids?

Delaware Bay will have waves, but a passing boat, say a speedboat will create more wake than the usual waves on Delaware Bay [tankers don't create much wake]. And there is also the wind, the wind can kick up the waves in the bays and ocean. You may want to avoid the beach on a windy day for many reasons, not just the waves. Your umbrella can go airborne and/or rolling end over end all over the beach making for a possibly dangerous projectile as it has a sand spike on it. And also, you can get sand~blasted by wind~borne sand. Anything you're reading, if it's paper the pages not only get blown, it gets sand covered. If it's electronic, it'll get sand in it

5. Re: Cape May. What to do with little kids?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Edited: 12:34 pm, February 03, 2014
Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape May. What to do with little kids?

To expand upon what Tony says, you need to understand that 'Cape May 'is used generically to mean several communities: Cape May City and West Cape May are on the Ocean, have nice sandy beaches and large ocean waves

North Cape May is on Delaware Bay, has smaller waves(like Lewes) and generally pebbly beaches.except for the Sandy one Tony pointed out.

Cape May Point is where the Ocean and Bay meet and there are both ocean beaches and Bay beaches.

The beaches you want are the Delaware Bay Beaches, either Sunset Beach or the ones Tony mentioned which are further up the Bay.

Conversely, most of the accomodations, restaurants and activities will be in Cape May City.

You should therefore plan to go to the beach on the Bay, but stay at a motel or Band B in Cape May City(unless you want to rent a house for a week in Cape May Point or North Cape May.)

I

Edited: 3:39 pm, January 07, 2014
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
198 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape May. What to do with little kids?

Thank you so much for detailed answers. Everything is becoming more clear now... I found a good article describing all the beaches in Cape May

capemay.com/magazine/…

Looks like the first two beaches on the list are bay beaches. The first beach is called wild and good for the dogs. The second one is not sandy... What am I missing here? Or nothing compares to Lewes, DE that we all loved so much?

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape May. What to do with little kids?

The second beach on your list is Sunset Beach which has already been described. Yes it is pebbly, that's why you can hunt for Cape May Diamonds there.

The first beach(Higbees Beach) was not recommended because, as you say it is wild with no facilities

Tony has described another smaller beach on the bay , just past the Ferry ,that is sandy My recollection(which is vague since we were last at this beach more than 10 years ago), is that there are few amenities, but I'll defer to Tony on this.

In my opinion, the Cape May area has considerably more things for kids,than the Lewes area, but they are spread out and require driving

For kids activities in Cape May City go to www.capemaymac.org and click on"'family friendly activities"

on the 'tours and events' drop down menu.

Edited: 6:52 am, January 08, 2014
9. Re: Cape May. What to do with little kids?

Edited: 12:34 pm, February 03, 2014
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
198 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cape May. What to do with little kids?

The area looks interesting to me - I would love to explore it!

My main concern remains beach. We really loved Lewes bay Beach - good size, easy parking, sandy, calm waters...

Having a nice size, sandy, no-waives beach for swimming is very important for us. Tony, do you happen to remeber the name for the other beach (sandy one)? I want to try to find the pics...

As the the ocean beaches - they will have big waives, right (then they are out of consideration)?