We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape May vs Wildwood Crest

b k
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Cape May vs Wildwood Crest

I know this topic has come up in the past on this forum, but here it is again. Back from my first trip to the area (yes, FIRST!, after so many years in the NYC area; what a shame). But I am sure we will go back there perhaps even this summer. So, here are a couple of my thoughts with the hope of provoking a discussion that I could learn from (some of my points are probably overgeneralisations; happy to be corrected).

Cape May - slightly more upmarket, quieter in the night, beach (the one off Beach Ave) is a little more pebbly, walk to the water from the parking lot is shorter, parking is a little more difficult to find, beaches have entrance fees, waves are a little higher.

Wildwood Crest - more like a huge complex of big and small apartment buildings housing the value-for-money tourist, beaches are free, the water is a little farther away (also means more sand to play frisbee or soccer), you can walk into the water a lot longer from the point the water starts because for quite a few meters the water is only knee deep), waves are high but a little less forceful, accommodation is cheaper, the boardwalk is fun at least for the first one or two nights.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape May vs Wildwood Crest

Some differences in my mind:

* better dining options in Cape May

* Cape May parking more of a hassle

* better beach access in Wildwood Crest...no badges, stat at a place on beach and walk to water easily. Yes, beach is wider, but don't see that as a bad thing.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,755 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape May vs Wildwood Crest

If you are not staying in Cape May, parking can be a hassle at times. Otherwise, I assume that the hotels and B&B's would provide parking. Not sure since I am a local and have never stayed in a hotel here. The architecture of Cape May lends a charm that is hard to beat. Wildwood Crest is my favorite of the Wildwoods, but the hotels and motels just don't measure up to the beauty of Cape May's accomodations IMO.

I do not disagree with most of what the OP expressed.

Edited: 10:01 am, July 01, 2013
b k
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape May vs Wildwood Crest

Lodging options also seem to be pricier in Cape May.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape May vs Wildwood Crest

What are you looking for? kids? Wildwood Crest to me is quiet too. We only went to Cape May pre kids and loved it, but we had been to the Crest as kids and teenagers and when our kids came we went to the Crest. To me Cape May is more suitable to adults....really good restaurants, at the time good bars with jazz (don't know if that's still true). So it all depends on what you are looking for in a vacation.

Gibbstown, New...
Level Contributor
145 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape May vs Wildwood Crest

For me, Wildwood is a place you visit one day/night during your vacation at a nearby jersey shore town.

Even when I was young, we never stayed in Wildwood. We'd just visit "the boards" for an evening of fun.

If you don't want to actually swim, Cape May Point State Park is perfect. You can sit on the beach, walk the nature trails, great place for photography & birding, climb the light house if you're up to it...bathrooms, free parking, no beach tags required. You just can't swim. Recently I've even seen a breakfast/lunch truck sitting in the parking lot. If you're a serious walker and birder, walk up the beach to The Meadows/Cape May Bird Observatory, or walk down the beach to Sunset Beach area(which you can also drive to within a minute or so).

In my mid 50's, Cape May is definitely my cup of tea. Been there for get-aways with my girl friend in October 2 years running and have the 3rd year booked already for '13.

6. Re: Cape May vs Wildwood Crest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 11, 2014