We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations

Which Cape May hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
891 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations

I realize this is a very subjective question--but--is there a restaurant that you really liked in Cape May? We don't do fine dining preferring "not fine dining" type places. All suggestions will be appreciated.

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
14,029 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations

The RawBar at The Lobster House http://thelobsterhouse.com/the-raw-bar/ The shrimp is fabulous here. They have a shrimp salad melt, I didn't order is for years because it sounded like an odd combo to me, but now I love it. Also, they have soft crab sandwiches [uh, this may not be a sandwich for a 1st~timer, I've eaten them with people unfamiliar with soft crabs and they are turned off by the legs sticking out of it]. And Oysters Rockefeller. Mmmm, Oysters Rockefeller

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Guess the definition of fine dining is also subjective. In terms of the more casual places in Cape May, the C-View Inn is where the locals go.

Also Lucky Bones is a pretty solid casual pick.

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
891 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Your right, Bob, fine dining is subjective. In my mind, it is candles, white tablecloths, hushed tones, suits, ties, dresses, heels.

Thanks Rship and Bob for the suggestions. Duly noted.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations

I like McGlade's which is next to Convention Hall and overlooks the beach. It's open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also like Gecko's which serves TexMex.

You've already got the recommendation for the raw bar at the Lobster House. The restaurant is good too, and I wouldn't consider it fine dining but definitely more upscale than the raw bar. The Lobster House is right on the docks so it's interesting to walk around.

I've had 2 great meals at Tisha's on the Washington Street Mall. It may be more upscale than what you're looking for, but I don't find it stuffy. If you go to the mall to shop you can check it out for yourself.

For bar food I like the C-View.

West Hartford...
Destination Expert
for Gulf Shores
Level Contributor
442 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Back Street: Very nice food and informal ambiance. Bella Vida - especially if someone in your party likes vegetarian. Gecko's has very nice southwestern dishes: Santa Fe themed, not tex-mex. Any of these would fit the criteria you posted.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations

For my family and I, the best casual dining spot is George's (excellent meals.) There is also Cabanas on the Beach (good) and Backstreet (very good.) I tried the Pilot House and Ugly Mug and thought the food at these two places was awful! I never tried Lucky Bones myself, but people who I know said they liked the food there! There is also Carney's, but the food there is hit or miss! It all depends on what you order and your personal taste!

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,693 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Another vote for McGlade's. =)

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
891 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant recommendations

Thanks. Everything is written down and in my CM folder. We leave this Saturday. Just now hoping that the weather is great. The people on TA are amazingly helpful. There can be differences of opinion but if you know of them in advance then you can at least make an informed opinion and for that I am grateful.

Shelton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations

We tried McGlade's last year because of all the positive feedback but were unimpressed by both the food and the atmosphere. For a casual meal I agree that Lucky Bones is sure thing...best pizza in Cape May (if you like a thinner crust brick oven style). We also like the Blue Pig Tavern and Mad Batter...I have had great meals here, and some less than great, but they have always been very good.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant recommendations

I think the Lobster House is casual and has great seafood. I also like McGlades.