We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lowering Of The Flag Ceremony

Level Contributor
75 posts
462 reviews
Save Topic
Lowering Of The Flag Ceremony

Can anyone provide info on location & time of lowering the flag at Cape May. I understand they get quite a group.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lowering Of The Flag Ceremony

This is actually held at Sunset Beach about 3 miles west of Cape May City, on Sunset Drive .The Beach is the Weasterly terminus of Sunset Drive

It is held at Sunset, so obviously the times vary with the season..

Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Lowering Of The Flag Ceremony

I live in Cape May Point 5 months a year; it is a very moving ceremony and well worth the trip. It is only done May - September. Since times vary, they post the time of that evening's ceremony on a board just inside the gift shop door.

http://www.sunsetbeachnj.com/to-do.html

Mentioned in this post
Cape May Point
Cape May Point
Cape May County, NJ
Blue Bell...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lowering Of The Flag Ceremony

I just found this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaBI9I0dfVU

Illinois
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lowering Of The Flag Ceremony

I'm looking forward to our 6th trip to Cape May over the years. We never miss this, after burgers or fried clams next door, looking out at the concrete ship over the pebble beach. The ceremony never fails to choke me up... very moving. Thanks for the video, Blue Bell. I got teary eyed watching it.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,986 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lowering Of The Flag Ceremony

I get emotional as well. It is a moving ceremony and I am so proud of my fellow servicemen. I never served during times of conflict, but to say that I appreciate the sacrifices of those who did would be a gross understatement.

Morris County, NJ
Level Contributor
698 posts
1,004 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lowering Of The Flag Ceremony

This is something not to be missed when you visit Cape May.

Illinois
Level Contributor
564 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lowering Of The Flag Ceremony

Yes, the ceremony is a gesture of respect and reverence for those who have lost their lives in the military services. But it also goes beyond that. It is a gesture of respect for what inspires our military men and women to put themselves at risk. It is about love of our country. Something about the old scratchy Kate Smith "God Bless America" recording, as you stand on the edge of the eastern coast looking off beyond our shores, ending with taps for the fallen day and our fallen soldiers. It is, frankly, kind of corny, as you stand there in the parking lot or maybe on the beach, with your hand over your heart. But is also profound. And genuine.

Edited: 12:29 am, April 03, 2012
8. Re: Lowering Of The Flag Ceremony

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, April 05, 2013