We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlantic City to Washington via Cape May

orangeville, on
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Atlantic City to Washington via Cape May

I am travelling in March 2012. Is there a bus that travels via Cape May from Atlantic City to Washington? I'm not sure that this really saves any time but is sounds scenic. Assuming the weather may not be the best at this time, I'm trying to come up with a plan B if we don't want to rent a car. We could take the train via Philly but this plan sounds like more fun. Maybe an overnight in Cape May? All info appreciated.

Bangor, Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Lancaster
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlantic City to Washington via Cape May

New Jersey transit provides service to Cape May, but does not provide transit ohe ferry.

Strongly suggest you rent a car if you want to do this.

The ferry is scenic in good weather. Traffic should no be an issue in March at least untill you get closer to Washington.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlantic City to Washington via Cape May

I'm not sure why you are planning this trip in March. The ride from Atlantic City to Cape May is not scenic. As you leave AC, you will get onto the AC Expressway. You will exit at 7S onto the Garden State Parkway to exit 0. Then cross a bridge into Cape May. All highway driving. There is a bus schedule from AC to Cape May, but I'm not sure how to get from Cape May to DC via bus.

To be honest, I think that you would love Cape May if you spent at least a few days in the late Spring to early Fall time frame. Start with NJ Transit web page.

orangeville, on
Level Contributor
40 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlantic City to Washington via Cape May

I'm stuck with these dates. Visiting Philly for the Flower Show March 4(work) then taking a side trip to Atlantic City (just an overnight). We wanted to go on to Washington for 4 days of sightseeing without doubling back through Philly. We only have a week so wanted to take the shortest route. Looks like we may end up on the train back through Philly regardless. I was hoping that Cape May would cut some time off our journey and be a nice side trip. Any time saving tips would be appreciated. Thanks much for your comments.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlantic City to Washington via Cape May

Cape May will not cut any appreciable time off your trip. No more than 50 miles

according to Map Quest. I don't know if you are familiar with Cape May. If not,

I suggest that you spend 2 nights here and give up one night in DC and/or

possibly consider just passing though Atlantic City for a day trip. It all depends on your reasons for choosing the itinerary. I believe that a car rental will be best way for you to go.

5. Re: Atlantic City to Washington via Cape May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 21, 2012