We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels where dogs are allowed?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Hotels where dogs are allowed?

I'm planning on a return visit to Cape May for my wife and me, likely in May or June. We made our first trip last September for our first anniversary, and we absolutely loved it. We stayed at the Macomber over Memorial Day Weekend, and it was great. However, I don't think dogs are allowed there. I was hoping that, for our upcoming trip, we could bring our 1-year-old vizsla.

So, I guess this is my question: Are there any good hotels/B&Bs where we could stay and have our dog? Any advice or comments are very appreciated. Thank you.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels where dogs are allowed?

Hi again hhh,

If you go to www.capemay.com - under the accommodations section - it lists kid friendly/pet friendly/and so on. I believe there are 4-5 places listed as pet-friendly, so you might want to check those out.

Good luck.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels where dogs are allowed?

Thanks for the advice, shamrock. I'll be sure to check it out.

Since you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the area, when would you suggest is a good time to return to Cape May? I am hoping to make a trip before summer "officially" arrives, but I'm not against a June-July-August trip. Even September is alright, but that seems so far from now! So I was thinking a May trip might be decent because the weather would likely start to get warm. I also imagined that activities in the area would start to pick up. If you have some thoughts/advice, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels where dogs are allowed?

Hi,

Of course it's always most bustling in the summer - we all know that - it just depends on you personally. Some people look at the crowds, etc. (even on the beach, because they're able to use the beach) as a good thing - and some look at is as a negative.

More cars, more parking issues, more people trying to do and see the same things you are during high season (June - August).

But - then again - there's more there for you. ALL of the restaurants are open - ALL of the stores are open, and so forth. It all depends on you. (All of the restaurants require reservations.)

You get the picture.

We're going again for 3 days in April - but that's because of our 1st wedding anniversary - not because of the weather. LOL!

Prices and popularity are also up in May and September now because of this. People are trying to get in warmer weather and still enjoy Cape May - but not during "peak" season. (Don't forget - those are two big wedding months, as well.)

There's a good chance that you'd have decent weather just before Memorial Day weekend - and just as good of a chance that you'll have it after Labor Day weekend.

I know this reply was absolutely anything but helpful - but I'm trying my best! :)

Us, personally, we try to book for mid-late September. We find that the weather is still pleasant - and all of the shops and restaurants and activities are still available to us. (We'd probably do May instead - because, like you, who wants to wait that long?!....but my b'day and our anniversary are in April - so doing it again in May just doesn't work out.

I hope this helps a little. Let me know if there's anything else that you need.

(And let me know if you have any luck with the dogs.) Are you planning to try The Washington Inn this time? (I can't remember if you made it there last time.)

Happy planning to you!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels where dogs are allowed?

Our last visit to Cape May (which was also our first) was last September for our first wedding anniversary. We were there over Labor Day Weekend, and it was great. I'm not against another trip in September, but to be honest, I'm itching to get back ASAP. Plus, I'd kind of like to see what Cape May is like when it's not quite so busy. We were told Labor Day Weekend is the busiest time of the year for the area. We didn't find it to be problematic at all, but all the same, I'm curious to see what it's like a little sooner in the season.

My wife and I have some hectic schedules through mid-May, so it will be tough to take a trip between now and then. I might try to swing something in April, but I think it might be too tough. I'm guessing we're looking at June-July-August. Like I said before, I want to go back ASAP. However, if we don't make it by June, I'm partly inclined to wait until after Labor Day. Like you said, the weather is still good, and the shops/restaurants are still open. Plus, the prices might be down a bit because it's no longer "peak" season.

As for the Washington Inn, we didn't make it there last time. We had our anniversary dinner at the Union Park Dining Hall (we stayed at the Macomber, so it was obviously convenient), and we loved it. But if you're suggesting the Washington Inn, perhaps we'll try that one this time around.

Thanks a ton for all of your info and advice. And I'll keep you informed about whether we'll be able to take our Vizsla this time around!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels where dogs are allowed?

What type of dog is Vizsla?

We're looking to add on to our family - we spent the weekend visiting German Shepherd breeders (since we just moved in to a home, and now have the room).

I'm just scared of the puppy destroying all of our hard-work thus far! LOL!

Definitely keep me updated on your dog-friendly search. I may be asking the very same question myself soon.

I'm also checking with a friend at The Washington Inn - he's lived there for quite some time and might have information not as easily attainable on the website.

As far as TWI goes - we had our wedding there - so you know that we love it. But we've had dinner on four other occasions - and it is absolutely the best restaurant I've ever been to. (Just my humble opinion.) I believe many others will agree.

As soon as I hear back from him on 'pet friendly' I'll let you know.

Take care,

Lori

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels where dogs are allowed?

Lori,

Not many people are familiar with Vizslas. But if you're familiar with a Weimaraner, imagine a slightly smaller, ruster-colored version, and you'll pretty much be picturing a Vizsla. They're Hungarian pointing dogs, and we absolutely love our little pup (she just turned 1). She is full of energy and requires a lot of exercise, but she's adorably affectionate and extremely good with strangers and children. They're not a common breed to come by, though. It took us some time to find a breeder anywhere near us.

You certainly seem to like the Washington Inn. I'm determined to give it a try, based upon your recommendation. If I don't like it, I'm holding you responsible...!

Hopefully, my wife and I will be able to get to Cape May soon. As I said before, we have some very hectic schedules through May, but I'd like to think we can escape for a weekend over the summer. But who knows...maybe we'll be able to swing a weekend in April.

If you don't mind my asking, do you live near Cape May? We're from Pennsylvania. About a 6-hour drive, but entirely worth it.

Take care,

Larry

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels where dogs are allowed?

Hi Larry,

I met a couple of Weimaraner's this weekend when we were looking for Shepherds. They were gorgeous dogs - so smart-looking and full of life (one ate the sleeve of my sweater) LOL!

Was it you that was looking for a vegetarian selection for your wife during your last visit? If so, TWI offers one every evening on their dinner menu.

I have always lived in NJ and, no matter what part of NJ I move to, I never seem to be more than 2 hours away from Cape May. I grew up in the Middletown area, moved to the East Windsor area, and now live in the Jackson area. (We haven't made the trip from Jackson yet - but I believe it might be under two hours from here.)

Have a great day.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels where dogs are allowed?

Hey, Lori.

Yeah, it was me who was looking for a vegetarian selection for my wife when we were in Cape May last September for our anniversary. We ate at the Union Park Dining Hall, and it was very accomodating. I'm glad to hear that the Washington Inn offers a selection as well.

As part of my profile, I put up a picture of a Vizsla. Like I said, a smaller, rust-colored version of a Weimaraner. Are you and your husband looking for a particular breed? You mentioned German Shepherds...is that just an option, or are you set on getting one of that type? Just curious.

Take care,

Larry

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels where dogs are allowed?

Larry,

He's gorgeous!

Thanks for putting the picture up.

My husband and I have our minds/hearts set on a German Shepherd. He was pretty much open to any dog - but I've had a love of shepherds growing up, and he's met a few since we've been looking - and now he loves them to.

Haven't heard back from my Cape May connection yet on doggie accommodations - I'll let you know as soon as I do.

Happy Wednesday,

Lori

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels where dogs are allowed?

My picture is Aruba! LOL!