We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

Tarrytown, New York
2 posts
Save Topic
Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

How bad is traffic to Cape May from the NYC area on summer Saturdays? Should I detour out west to avoid traffic? I read on another forum that taking 95 to 295 etc is better even though it's further and out of the way. I'll have 2 toddlers with me so I'm very worried about hitting gridlock for too long!

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

Driving to Cape May on a Saturday will be a bit slow. Of the different routes available, I would choose Jersey Turnpike to Garden State Parkway. Taking the 295 route will lead you to getting onto Routes 47 & 347. They can become grid locked because they are one lane in each direction. JMO.

Tarrytown, New York
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

What time does traffic ease up? I think maybe we'll leave in the late afternoon (nap time in the car for the kids) or early evening if it means a smoother trip.

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

By late afternoon, traffic shouldn't be too bad. Don't know how it will be at your end.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,841 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

I have gone to down to Cape May on Saturdays in the past (used the Parkway) and we left around 8AM and hit no traffic at all. Between 12 noon and 3, you'll be sitting bumper-to-bumper for hours. Leave early if you can.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

I agree with the prior poster about avoiding routes 47 and 347. I have a friend who swears by Route 206, which you could pick up in Bordentown off 295 or 95. Take 206 South into Hammonton, where you'd pick up Route 50 and take that to the Parkway at exit 20.

I still think the turnpike to the parkway is the best bet, but I'd check traffic that day.

The parkway has 3 lanes now down to Long Beach Island around mile 63 (previously only down to mile 80 in Toms River), This is the first summer the additional lane has been open. It will be interesting to see if/how this alleviates some of the shore traffic jams.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

Traffic has been getting worse every year. We left Sussex County at 8 am last year, and it still took us 6 hours for a 3.5 hour trip.

This year, we are leaving Friday and staying at a motel around AC. That kind of traffic with 4 kids in the car is no way to start a vacation!

Nutley, NJ
Level Contributor
37 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

I would leave very early, no later than 7:30AM. If not, leave after 3:00 PM, otherwise just grin and bear the flow of the traffic. The GSP definitely has traffic patterns, but occasionally there are exceptions, such as a bad weather day.

Roxbury NJ
Level Contributor
456 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

best strategy is to go on Friday morning and it will be clear sailing at 8:00am.

9. Re: Traffic to Cape May on Saturdays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, October 04, 2012