We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convention Hall Building

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Convention Hall Building

I was in Cape May this past weekend and just wanted to share some photos that I took of the Convention Hall area. In December, they had torn down the Hall and the Solarium to make room to build a new one. They had also recently replaced the pilings that it supported it underneath. Surprisingly, it didn't seem to disrupt traffic, but what a strange sight! I had been very curious to see this part of town when I went down...

…photobucket.com/albums/…

On a sadder note, the Beach Theatre Neon Sign was taken down. :( I hope they plan to reinstall it at some point.

Edited: 11:06 pm, June 05, 2011
Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convention Hall Building

Oh wow, it's really gone. What a weird sight that is. I have never been to Cape May without Convention Hall!!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convention Hall Building

I know what you mean, Travelbug! It's jarring when you first see it. I can only hope that the new Hall will be tasteful and a big improvement over the last one. Honestly, seeing the old hall crumbling apart made me sad these last few years.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convention Hall Building

I can't believe that they've gotten no farther than putting in the pilings. We visited Cape May in February and it seems like not much has changed since then. I thought Convention Hall would be at least 1/2 built by now!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convention Hall Building

They've had to go through many bid procedures for the various contractors for each step of the process. Plus they have a moratorium on construction in the city during the prime tourist season. They'll start building after Labor Day, I'm pretty sure. From what I've read the target date for completion is Memorial Day weekend of 2012.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
468 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convention Hall Building

WOW! I had no idea it would take so long. Thanks for the info, CapeMayDreaming.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convention Hall Building

Oh! So strange, and more than a little bit sad. I really do hope the new building fits the style and character of Cape May.

Thank you for sharing.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convention Hall Building

My mom told me she read in the Cape May magazine that entire strip of shops is going to torn down and condos built in it's place. I mean, really??!!? Say it ain't so Cape May!!!

Although, removing the sign for the theater is a little ominous. =(

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,661 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Convention Hall Building

WOW, it does look so strange. I hope whatever they build will be a inprovement. I always liked the old convention center.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
226 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Convention Hall Building

The Press of Atlantic City published an article on the progress of the building today. I thought the concrete foundations were done, but apparently not...

pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/promen…

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Convention Hall Building

Hey, they are are still having the Promenade Craft Show in August, right???