We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cape May vs. Cape Cod

nc111
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Cape May vs. Cape Cod

Hi everyone,

My husband and I normally go to Cape Cod every summer for a few days. We were interested in switching it up this year and are considering Cape May. We are looking for a quiet, quaint town which would have good restaurants, beaches, and possibly bike trails. Do you think Cape May fits the bill? If so, are there any B&Bs you recommend? Also, we don't have any children.

Thanks!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
140 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cape May vs. Cape Cod

From what you described you're looking for, Cape May fits the bill. It's much quieter, less crowded, more beautiful and genteel as compared to Cape Cod. Cape Nay is noted for having some of the best restaurants in the Jersey Shore area. Great shopping, clean, pristine beaches and so much more.

There are so many choices of B&B's -- the majority being excellent. My own personal favorite is: the Albert Stevens Inn. I can also highly recommend the Fairthorne Inn, the Mooring, Windward House, Queen Victoria. the Mission Inn and the Bedford Inn. They all have websites and you can also read reviews of them on Tripadvisor.

If you do decide to go, have yourself a pleasant stay.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,241 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cape May vs. Cape Cod

It is hard to compare Cape May and Cape Cod. Cape Cod is an area with many villages and The National Seashore. Cape May is a town. So, I would say that if you mean Provincetown then Cape May would be a lot quieter. But if you stay in a beach cottage in Wellfleet or a B&B in Chatham then Cape May will be a lot more crowded and busy.

Cape May is delightful and has good restaurants, beach etc. but in the summer I find it to be extremely busy and packed with people.

So, if you tell me where you normally go on Cape Cod then maybe I can give you a better answer.

Bucks County...
Level Contributor
476 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cape May vs. Cape Cod

We've vacationed in Cape May and Cape Cod over the years and our favorite time of year to visit both places is early September. The crowds are gone, the weather is (usually) lovely, the water is still warm, and lodging prices are a little lower (at least on Cape Cod they are-- I think Cape May prices stay high longer into September).

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
152 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cape May vs. Cape Cod

I've been to Cape Cod a few times and while both have their individual charms, I would pick Cape May. The nice thing about Cape May is almost everything is within walking distance or just a short drive away.

My husband and I always bring our bikes with us. Cape May is definitely a biker's paradise. There are well marked, safe bike trails all over town. It's a great way to see the beautiful Victorian homes and scenery. In addition to the bike trails, the beach promenade is also available for biking in the early morning (up till 10:00am) and there are numerous benches available to rest if you get tired, or just want to relax and gaze at the beach.

Most of the time we stay in motels but we have been to the Carroll Villa, Angel of the Sea and the Fairthorne Inn. My favorite was the Fairthorne. It has a great location and a nice porch with rocking chairs to relax on. We stayed in the Emma-Kate suite on the second floor which was nice because in addition to the king size bedroom, there was a second room with a couch, tv, fireplace and fridge. It was nice to have two rooms to spread out in. There were also so many windows in the two rooms, we had a gorgeous breeze all the time. The breakfast, snacks, lemonade etc they provided were also great.

I don't think you'll be disappointed if you choose Cape May!

nc111
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cape May vs. Cape Cod

Thank you all for your responses! To answer your questions, we normally go to Cape Cod over 4th of July weekend. We stay in a B&B in South Dennis. To be honest, the last time we were there, the town felt a little too quiet, so a little bit of a crowd would be great. The other challenge with Cape Cod is the fact that you have to drive everywhere. It would be nice to stay somewhere we could walk to the beach and restaurants from whatever B&B we choose.

Loch Arbour, New...
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
4,241 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cape May vs. Cape Cod

What ever you decide I'm sure you will have a great time "down the Shore"...

just to throw in another thought, there are lots of other great shore towns along our coast:

http://www.newjerseyshore.com/

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,366 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cape May vs. Cape Cod

Have spent the 4th in both places and will be in chatham this year. With all that we love cape may at that time. It is busy and you should make a reservation at the better restaurants. The bike parade on cape may point is classic as is the flag lowering at sunset beach.

Puznik11
Level Contributor
49 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cape May vs. Cape Cod

Having been to CC three times and CM numerous times throughout the year, my choice is obvious. CM has everything you desire within an arm's reach.

And if the beaches aren't big enough, just drive 5 minutes away and go to the free beaches in Wildwood Crest/Diamond Beach.

CM area's beaches blow CC's away. That being said both places are wonderful. Enjoy & safe travels!

Keith

9. Re: Cape May vs. Cape Cod

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, October 04, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Cape May
Recent Conversations