We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay early Oct

Oahu
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay early Oct

Aloha,

We're visiting family in PA and Cape May was recommended for it's Victorian architecture. I grew up going to Wildwood and Ocean City, NJ or MD, but now different age and goals! :)

We have no children and would like beachfront, convenient location, but will have a rental car, so prefer the location to not be noisy.

I'm sure in Oct, it won't be crowded.

I read alot of hotel reviews, but many apply to those with families and/or older folks and/or there's an ocean view but with power lines or a street in front of it!

We prefer view and someplace nice, not budget, but doesn't have to be luxurious either.

Thanks so much for any info!

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Wildwood
Wildwood
Cape May County, NJ
Ocean City
Ocean City
Cape May County, NJ
New Jersey
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay early Oct

Hi there,

Do you prefer a hotel, or a B&B?

One of the nicer hotels, oceanfront, (in my opinion) would be Congress Hall.

Unfortunately, my two favorite B&Bs are not oceanfront (Southern Mansion and Mission Inn), so I don't know that I can be of any help there. I also really like Rhythm of the Sea, but it's not for everyone. It might be worth looking at the website. It's a very modest comfortable lovely Inn, and the Innkeepers are wonderful.

Happy planning and enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Congress Hall
Congress Hall
1,223 Reviews
Cape May, NJ
Rhythm of the Sea
Rhythm of the Sea
114 Reviews
Cape May, NJ
Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
309 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay early Oct

Hui ! Howzit?

Cape May is beautiful in October. There is plenty to see and do. October is the month we celebrate our victorian heritage

I have ohana that visit from the aina every 5 years or so. They have visited our Lighthouse, Alpaca Farm, enjoyed the beach (not very hot but warm enough in the day to enjoy), trolley tours, ghost tours. Shops and restaurants are open and plenty of tours.

May I suggest the Atlas Inn? 1-888-285-2746. They are oceanfront, rooms have 2 double beds, fridge and coffee makers and they offer a free hot breakfast choice off the menu in their restaurant, Bloody Mary's Bar and Grill.

You may also try the Montreal, 1-80-525-7011.

e malama pono, hui hou,

aloha hugs,

Pat

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay early Oct

Cape May is a great resort. Clean, good restaurants and lots of victorian charm.

To be clear, there aren't any beachfront accomodations. A street separates the hotel properties from the beach. October could be hit or miss so far as beach weather. Mid September would be better.

Crowds have diminished by then as well.

Too many quality places to stay to list. Google Cape May and try to narrow your choices.

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
NOVA
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay early Oct

If the pug is coming along, try the Marquis. It is a wonderful pet friendly place that is on the ocean.

have an ice day!

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,991 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay early Oct

Check the La Mer Motor Inn. It is right on the ocean, newly renovated, and convenient to all the historic sights. I stayed here a few years ago - before the renovation - and was very pleased. You have your choice of side ocean view, full ocean view, or panoramic ocean view.

Oahu
Level Contributor
70 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay early Oct

La Mer looks like our type of place!

Is it in a location close to rest, shops and the Boardwalk for strolling? I haven't gotten a feel for how big Cape May is & if there's lots of different sections with different sightseeing. I need to do more research, huh?

Why would Cape May be better than let's say Lewes, Bethany, Dewey, Rehoboth, Wildwood or Ocean City? Just curious, you are the experts, give me your sales pitch! :)

Thanks alot, aloha, Pat

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Lewes
Lewes
Delaware
Wildwood
Wildwood
Cape May County, NJ
Ocean City
Ocean City
Maryland
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,991 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay early Oct

Cape May is a historic Victorian town. It is small and picturesque. Nice shopping area with very interesting shops and galleries. Good restaurants - few chain establishments. Extremely quiet compared to the other places you have mentioned. Attracts couples, adults interested in the architecture and antiques, and families that want a moreold-fashion beach vacation (ie, to amusement pier, etc).

We liked La Mer because, while we enjoyed the restaurants, the interesting shopping, and the architectural tours, we also wanted the relaxed atmosphere of modern ocean front accommodations.

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
OH
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay early Oct

Is Cape May a good place for a 3 day or so vacation for my wife and our 2 year old daughter?

Recomendatoin on places to stay?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,991 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay early Oct

I don't know whether Cape May would be the best vacation for a two year old. As a previous poster mentioned, you do have to cross a street to get to the beach from any of the hotels. On the other hand, the town is charming and safe. Put up a new post on the Cape May forum and maybe someone will respond who has visited with young children.

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Cape May, New Jersey
Level Contributor
309 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Place to stay early Oct

Aloha e obeythepug,

Cape May is Spectacular in the fall. Just a brief rundown of what is going on.

October 5 to 14 the town celebrates its Victorian Heritage. There are privateome tours, historic haunts tours, Victorian Week Murder Mystery Dinners, Whale/Dolphin Watch boat tours, afternoon teas, fashion nostalgia lectures, trolley tours, walking tours etc..

During that week is our Lima Bean Festival, craft and antique show.

October 19 to 3 begins our Haunted Cape May Halloween Tours and events.

Oct. 20/21 we have a Craft Show and fishing flea market.

The weather is good, the town is quiet compared to the summer even with tours etc going on. There are plenty of restaurants etc.

Our Lighthouse has 199 steps and if you are game you can climb to the top for a terrific view over the Atlantic.

On our natural side, in late September, early October waves of the monarch butterfly arrive in the area. They love to feast on the sesd goldenrod and roost on the branches of the cedar and bayberry.

Even if you are not a birdwatcher if you go down to Cape May Point State Park to the Hawk Watch Platform, October swhen the osprey,, bald eagle, sharp shinned haks etc migrate to our shore. There are Hawk Banding demos etc. It is really something to be up close to these birds when they band them.

There is a World War 2 Bunker off our shores and a couple watch towers.

What I love about Cape May is that you can do as little or as much as you want. Kick back, relax and watch the ocean. Take a leisurely horse and buggy ride. Rent a bike and explore on your own. Take a stroll on our pedestrian Mall. Visit the shops and restaurants.

We are a victorian town with lots of gingerbread and lace as part of the architecture. It is a relaxing, clean area and I feel even if only for a day or two it should not be missed.

e malama pono,

Pat

Mentioned in this post
Cape May
Cape May
Cape May County, NJ
Cape May Point State Park
Cape May Point State Park
152 Reviews
Cape May Point, NJ