We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

As the monarch butterflies flutter by

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
As the monarch butterflies flutter by

There's an article from the Press of AC here pressofatlanticcity.com/pac/a-promising-star… about Cape May monarch counts this year are looking up [if y'all are willing to use up 1 of 10 allowed free visits per month]. excerpts: 'The data aren’t in yet, but early anecdotal reports predict a strong showing.. ..they will put on as much weight as possible by sipping nectar from wild sources and garden flowers before making the 17-mile trip across Delaware Bay.. ..in Atlantic and Cape May counties lots of people have seen a lot of monarchs in the last generation before migration.. ' Here is another article nj1015.com/theres-something-special-flying-a… w/o visit restrictions. And that↑ article offers this link→ conservewildlifenj.org/blog/… which has a chart that shows the biggest year this century was 03~04. And I've witnessed a lot more monarchs this year than the last 3yrs. Perhaps from traveling more on maybe not. I too expect a good amount of monarchs this year just based on my observations.

I've seen a lot of monarchs in AC this year and I feel that this guy [+ team] just might have played some part in it. thisisac.com/john-collette-keeping-green/ Last July, this man approached me in Gardners Basin because I was inspecting the undersides of milkweed leaves in one of the gardens he tends to and came up to me to find out what I was doing to his plants. I explained what I was doing and he didn't know about the monarch&milkweed symbiotic relationship and had just let that part grow wild and the milkweeds were just part of what had grown. So of course, this July I'm back inspecting the undersides of milkweeds and then find him and he tells me he purposely put in milkweeds just for the monarch this year. And yes, I did find monarch eggs that visit too. Me & other ppl I was with each time also learned a lot from him as he loves to show off his gardens and I WISH I could recall the type of Black~Eyed Susans that he uses as they bloom for months instead of just once... perhaps on a future visit. BTW, here is a photo of the award Gardners Basin won in 2015 https://www.tripadvisor.com/SavedPhotos-g796… they also won it in 2016 and I don't know if Gardners Basin won it again this year. Yet

And 1 good spot to spot monarchs is by the Cape May LightHouse where there is a butterfly garden. Just be careful of bees as they like the garden too

14 replies to this topic
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: As the monarch butterflies flutter by

Thanks for the great post rship!

We are heading to Cape May tomorrow. I always find the Monarchs so beautiful. The area near the lighthouse is the perfect spot for viewing.

I hope the little "cold" front today is enough to bring them out in force this week.

Great post!

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: As the monarch butterflies flutter by

I truly think y'all will be spotting many monarchs as the motivation for my posting was I'd arrived in AC last night and within a few blocks drive I'd seen 7 to 12. I am unsure of the count as I saw a bunch fluttering around & in & out of some scrub pines at a traffic signal and at 1st I thought it was 2, then 3, then 4, then possibly 5 and the light changed leaving me wondering how many I was seeing were just repeats. And monarchs funnel into Cape May to feed before their Delaware Bay crossing so I do expect your sighting counts to be higher than my few minutes of observations as a passenger in an auto

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: As the monarch butterflies flutter by

I just opened my front door and saw a butterfly in my garden. Made me smile!

North Cape May, Nj
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: As the monarch butterflies flutter by

I saw many Monarchs from the bird observation deck at Cape May Point yesterday. Nothing close to the hundreds that we saw a few years ago while walking the trails at the Point. Maybe a lot more are on the way.

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: As the monarch butterflies flutter by

Here is another blog about the Monarch migration that was posted by our friends at the Whales Tale:

http://fb.me/1CQl39wLc

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: As the monarch butterflies flutter by

Oopsie! I made a error in math in counting the monarchs. I guess this means when comes to being a monarch counter, don't quit my day job!

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: As the monarch butterflies flutter by

Weeeell, lookie here! Cape May is having their 1st annual Monarch Fest https://community.njaudubon.org/NCCMcalendar… Sunday 10/8 from 11~5. They're requesting a $5 donation. I do see that 1 thingy offered is monarch tagging demos. AND. excerpt: 'We will have a beer garden' Mmmmmm beer! Now back to the tagging. I've only seen this on TV. So far.... And here is their FB page https:/… right at the top is a photo of scrub pine branches that are just lousy with monarchs

Brigantine, New...
Level Contributor
893 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: As the monarch butterflies flutter by

The annual migration is always one of my favorite parts of living here in the fall. Glad to hear the expectations are for an active season.

For those who live along the migration path and want to support it a little effort in your garden can go a long way. Many flowers — especially native plants — are terrific sources of nectar for monarch butterflies, but milkweed leaves are the only food monarch caterpillars eat. Monarchs butterflies lay their eggs on milkweed plants so the tiny caterpillars will have access to food the moment they hatch.

There are ways you can even have a Certified Monarch Waystation if you would like. A quick Google search will give you the details!

Philadelphia/Atlanti...
Destination Expert
for Atlantic City
Level Contributor
15,155 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: As the monarch butterflies flutter by

There is an article in the Philly paper here philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/shore/want… excerpt: ' ..Cape May would like you to pick up a few milkweed seeds at their first-ever Monarch Festival on Sunday, Oct. 8, and plant even more' and here is another about the migration: 'The Cape May peninsula is considered among the most important North American flyways for migrating species'

Somers Point, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: As the monarch butterflies flutter by

How long do they usually hang around?

Reply to: As the monarch butterflies flutter by
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cape May
Recent Conversations