We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Portsmouth in July?

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Antwerp, New York...
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Portsmouth in July?

My husband and I are planning one or two nights in Portsmouth in July and would like recommendation where to stay, eat and things to do. We are interested in walking around the city, Market Place, historic district, nice spots to eat and pub stops. Any suggestions?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Portsmouth in July?

Portsmouth is small. I'm not terribly familiar with lodging options, but anywhere in town (as opposed to at the Route 1 traffic circle, which is a mile or so out) is within easy walking distance of the points of interest.

I have stayed at Martin Hill Inn (http://www.martinhillinn.com/), which is lovely. I've also stayed at Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle (marriott.com/hotels/travel/psmww-wentworth-b…), which is not within walking distance—it's a short drive, but it's a treat.

Lots of places to eat and drink, most of which I haven't tried. But I can enthusiastically recommend Jumpin' Jay's Fish Cafe, the Library Restaurant, and the Portsmouth Brewery.

NH
Level Contributor
3,020 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Portsmouth in July?

I've never eaten anyplace in Portsmouth and been disappointed. It's all good!

The Sheraton is right in town. Ideal location for walking the town.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Portsmouth in July?

In town, there is also the Hilton Garden Inn and the Residence Inn. They are both practicaally next to the Sheraton, and all three put you right on the street. I would recommend all three. Watch for performances at Prescott Park. Lots of live music in bars at night. Strawberry Banke if you enjoy historic preservation villages. Harbor tours, whale watches. Beaches are a short drive.

East Haddam...
Level Contributor
584 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Portsmouth in July?

Agree with Hilton Garden Inn and Residence.

For breakfast I would suggest Michelles, it might be a little spendy for breakfast but its really nice.

I always stop for atleast 1 beer at the Portsmouth Brewery to see what they are serving, food is excellent too. RiRas is a cool setting in an old bank to grab a beer and some food.

My wife will always go for her morning coffee at Breaking New Grounds.

Also about a 5 minute drive is Red Hook Brewery that has tours, a pub and TV's if you want to catch a game while sampling all the beers.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Portsmouth in July?

For recommendations on things to do ...... definitely check out the schedule for events at Prescott Park, you can plan a picnic at the park.

Other ideas - Visit Strawberry Banke, take boat ride to the Isles of Shoals, maybe have lunch at "The Library" Restaurant. 

If you do not stay at The Wentworth by the Sea in New Castle, go to their restaurant Latitudes for their delicious lobster roll and for the harbor view. 

Take a short drive over to Odiorne Point State Park for a nice walk and/or take a short ride to York, Maine - take a pic of Nubble Lighthouse. Drive a little further north to Ogunquit - take a walk at The Marginal Way at Perkins Cove. 

Enjoy! 

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Portsmouth in July?

Things to do.. daytrip to Kennebunkport, ogunquit, nubble light.

Boston...
Level Contributor
113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Portsmouth in July?

I've stayed at Hilton Garden Inn and it's very nice and gets really good reviews. I'm sure Wentworth by the Sea in nearby New Castle would be nice too but is not in the downtown area, it's about a 5-7 min. drive. We love Colbys on Daniel St. for breakfast! It's a little hole in the wall, but is always so busy when we go there. It's very good and we are always full when we leave! We also love The Flatbread Company for pizza and The River House for seafood chowder and caesar salad- I'm sure they have lots of other good stuff too but that's what we get because it's so delicous! Make a reservation for a spot on the deck with a view of the water. We have done boat tours from a few different companies and we like the Portsmouth Harbour Cruises. It's a smaller boat, more intimate and very informative. The harbor cruise is very interesting and probably good for a first time cruise in Portsmouth but the cruise to Isle of Shoals is also nice- I think it's about 6 miles out to sea, so that would take a bigger chunk of your time. The park on Four Tree Island is an easy walk from Prescott Park. You could order a lunch to go from somewhere and go eat it out there while watching all the harbor activity. I LOVE PORTSMOUTH!! Probably my favorite place after home! :)

8. Re: Where to stay in Portsmouth in July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, April 28, 2015