We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best beach near Portsmouth for day-tripper

Which Portsmouth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Best beach near Portsmouth for day-tripper

We're basing ourselves in Portsmouth for a few days next month. Over the course of our trip, we'll be exploring all of the different beaches within an hour north and south to enjoy the scenery and photo ops.

But for actually lounging on a beach for most of a one of our days--we want to plan for one that has the best selection of amenities such as umbrella/chair rental and multiple food choices. Which beach(es) would be best for that? Thanks in advance.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best beach near Portsmouth for day-tripper

Tubman

I have driven past but not spent beach days along the northern NE coast. don't remember seeing rental's like we have in OC. Here is one link I found and a link describing ME beaches. The NH beaches (Rye, Hampton) are also very nice but also very different than OC.

http://ogtbeachnsport.com/

http://visitmaine.net/beaches.htm

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best beach near Portsmouth for day-tripper

Thanks for the link, Ogunquit sounds like what we need for extended beach time--reads a little like Lewes, Delaware for comparison purposes.

I know not to expect anything like the hustle-and-bustle of the mid-Atlantic beaches, and in part the purpose of this trip is to step out of our usual summer vacation beach box...a little :-)

Edited: 1:02 pm, June 22, 2012
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best beach near Portsmouth for day-tripper

You will find ogunquit pretty busy. It is quite popular. If you want something different, head up to Jackson Falls in Jackson, NH or Diana's bath in North Conway.

Boston...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best beach near Portsmouth for day-tripper

If you want ocean beaches:

York Beach which is the town below Ogunquit, may also work. You could head down to Hampton if you want all the amusements, food places and interesting people watching along a boardwalk type area. Ogunquit and York are more quiet in terms of businesses located on the beach but are by no means less crowded (York may be the least crowded of these choices). I know there is chair/umbrella rentals right at Ogunquit beach, but they are due back at 5 everyday, lol, they always make an announcement when it's time to return them.

The places mentioned in the post above mine are not on the ocean, not sure if that matters to you or not.

Edited: 10:45 pm, July 09, 2012
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best beach near Portsmouth for day-tripper

We just got back and covered the coast from Old Orchard Beach to the north and Salisbury, Mass. to the south. Ogunquit was our first stop. I'm not as much a lay-on-the-beach person as the Mrs., so we snared a short-term parking spot right by the crowded beach so we could set her up. I got back in the car to explore the town (which was far more palatable than paying $25 for a longterm parking space near the beach). Good thing too--within 20 minutes, she called for a pickup. The changing tide made the narrow beach even more claustrophobic as folks repositioned themselves practically on top of her.

After Ogunquit and driving through the crowds at the other beach towns/state parks along 1A and 9, we quickly realized that crowds, narrow beaches and limited parking requiring either permits or loads of cash were prohibiting this from being the sort of beach daytrip where we could park easily and hop onto the beach for a few hours, as we can do in parts of OC and Delaware. So we gave up on pursuing actual beach time and instead focused on the towns of Ogunquit and Kennebunk(+port), which were great. We also made stops at the less-crowded parking areas along the road to take in the rocky scenery and enjoyed some Tripoli's pizza in Seabrook.

Old Orchard, Ogunquit and Hampton appeared to be the most "familiar" in terms of the amenities we initially thought we were looking for (they're for the "funnel-cake crowd" according to the front desk clerk at our hotel) and we'll plan accordingly if we return to the area with the kids, as we're thinking of doing next summer.

In spite of minimal beach time, the drive along the coast by itself made for a great daytrip. Thanks all for your guidance!

6. Re: Best beach near Portsmouth for day-tripper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 12, 2013