We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

girls trip to portsmouth

niagara falls
12 posts
Save Topic
girls trip to portsmouth

my girlfriend has business meetings in manchester so we will fly in thursday and fly out sat nite. we were thinking a road trip to portsmouth to eat and shop. any other interesting towns we will pass thru that we should check out? we will probably keep the room in manchester for the entire time (paid for), we love to shop and eat good food...any suggestions..been reading all the posts under portsmouth but don't know the area to check on other little towns between manchester/portsmouth or even somewhere an hour or so out of manchester...thanks

Boston
Level Contributor
2,907 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: girls trip to portsmouth

You'll like Manchester too, you could make reservations and find out about the Wireless Center's games or concerts, as a thought, you could look for Piccolo's Italian Restaurant located on Elm Street. It's one of our favorites. A LOT of choices for dining in Manchester.

I also like your idea of heading over to Portsmouth to check it out. There's so much to see and do there, you'll really like it a lot. There's a huge selection for dining options here too.

If you go to the seacoast online site:

www.seacoastonline.com

Then just click on New Hampshire you'll see them all listed OR click on Food then "Find a restaurant", click on Portsmouth and you'll see them narrowed down just in Portsmouth. Look for "Popovers on the Square" or "The Rosa", there's a lot of great choices here for lunch or dinner, believe me, your head will spin trying to decide where to go!

The Strawbery Banke Museum and Prescott Park are within walking distance of downtown too. Two places you both should try to get to while you're shopping & dining here. You could also try to take a harbor cruise near here as well if you can squeeze it in! "So much to do in such little time!"

www.strawberybanke.org

www.portsmouthharbor.com

www.islesofshoals.com

Have a wonderful time!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: girls trip to portsmouth

Ditto on Manchester. It is definitely coming out of its shell. Lots of nite spots and Elm Street and many very good restaurants. There are also concerts in Veteran's Park across from the Radisson, free, I think, and a host of festivals on the river during the summer. You may luck out.

If you go to the coast for the day, the direct route is Rte 101 east from Manchester. This is the fast road to Hampton,a nd then you could drive the 18 or so miles of coast north to Portsmouth. The coast is lovely. But an alternate route would be to head north on I-93 to Concord, and east on Rte 4. This is the main road east from Concord, but is a two lane road that goes through all the towns. The route is know for the antique shops along this road, if that sort of thing interests you.

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: girls trip to portsmouth

I agree that you will probably enjoy Portsmouth. Besides eating and shopping, there are harbor cruises, parks, playhouses and of course, lots of historic homes.

To answer your original question, in my view, there are no small towns between Manchester and Portsmouth that I would consider "destinations."

If you are really into shopping, you could also take a jaunt to the outlet stores in Kittery, Maine. They're not far from Portsmouth and certainly within an hour from Manchester.

If mall shopping is more to your liking, from Manchester, head south to Nashua to visit the Pheasant Lane Mall, bordering Massachusetts.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: girls trip to portsmouth

Portsmouth, NH is a great choice.

There are many one hour trips from Manchester, NH including

Boston, MA . Boston is an hour south of Manchester.

Here are a few more suggested trips from Manchester:

North of Manchester some examples:

Meredith, NH

Weirs Beach

Lake Winnipesaukee

East of Manchester some examples

Ogunquit, ME

York, ME

Portsmouth, NH

Newburyport, MA

South of Manchester

Cape Ann, MA

Salem, MA

Concord/Lexington MA

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
499 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: girls trip to portsmouth

I agree with heading to Portsmouth. I love it there.

Boston is about 55 minutes from Manchester if you go at the off-peak driving times. Head straight down 93.

If it's nice weather and you're in your 20s, there's a bar RIGHT across from the Verizon Wireless Center that start's hopping around 10pm. They have an outdoor patio on nice nights. It's walled "The WB" by everyone local, but it's really Wally and Bernies. If you're over 30, you'll feel old. Lots of skin, but I'm in my 20s and I still like to go there with my husband from time to time, especially because of the patio. :)

Good luck! There's great stuff to do in NH, thanks for visiting our little state!

6. Re: girls trip to portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, October 01, 2009