We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strawberry Banke

RI - USA
Level Contributor
36 posts
66 reviews
Strawberry Banke

How does Strawberry Banke compare to either Studbridge Village or Plimouth Plantations? I've heard both positive and negative responses about it.

4 replies to this topic
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,226 posts
217 reviews
1. Re: Strawberry Banke

Plimouth Plantation is unique in that all the costumed reenactors play their parts like actors. At OSV, the costumed reenactors are there to infirm and educate, but they don’t pretend to be people of the era (1830s). Strawbery Banke, at our visit, has some costumed reenactors, but not as many as the other two places. Plimouth is pretty small; easy to visit in a half day. OSV is bigger; I could spend the day there. I really enjoyed all three; if you like history you will enjoy them all. Strawbery Banke has the added bonus of being in the middle of Portsmouth, with so many great choices for shopping and eating, as well as harbor boat tours, etc.

conn
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
172 reviews
2. Re: Strawberry Banke

Its nothing like the other museums Its more like some of the Shaker museums or the smaller historical sites.

Peterborough, NH
Level Contributor
573 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Strawberry Banke

Its been ages since I was at PP or OSV but I always thought they were mostly just a snapshot in time. At Strawberry Banke all the homes and buildings (except for a few) are in their original locations and the buildings are from different time periods. So you walk down the old streets of the village and the tavern might be from the revolutionary war and decorated as such, then the home down the street is set up just the way the Jewish family that lived there in the late 1800s/early 1900s and then just down the block from there is a soda fountain shop/candy shop circa WWII.

Its cool...and an easy walk into downtown Portsmouth afterwards for some dinner and drinks :)

RI - USA
Level Contributor
36 posts
66 reviews
4. Re: Strawberry Banke

Thank you for your message. Could you recommend some seafood restaurants in Portsmouth? I'm from RI so I'm sure Portsmouth will have as many great restaurants available as we have in Little Rhody.

Reply to: Strawberry Banke
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted