We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

Vermont
Level Contributor
64 posts
200 reviews
Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

Looking for a long weekend end of June. I know the ocean water will still be cold but we will go explore the coastline with our DD, age 6. Is Wallis the best beach in the area? Also, where can we stay that is under 200 a night with an indoor pool? Thank you!

11 replies to this topic
Georgia
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

I've always liked Wallis Sands. Very nice, but small beach north of Hampton Beach. It does have a bath house.

If you wanted to go further afield, I love Plum Island and it's Parker River Refuge east of Newburyport. It would be about 30 miles from Portsmouth. Ogunquit would be another option. Probably 20 miles north of Portsmouth.

I can't help with hotels.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

You might want to consider York, right over the border. York has several great beaches - short Sands is great for kids. The village of York is fun for families - penny arcade, a zoo, a lighthouse, Goldenrods Salt Water taffy, etc. Wallis Sands is also nice. If you stay anywhere in the area, you can easily explore lots of beaches. I know the Microtel in York has an indoor pool. There are tons of other motels nearby, especially out on rte 1.

new hampshire
Level Contributor
109 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

I second York Beach, ME. We went for years when our children were young. Check out The Anchorage Inn on Long Sands.....directly across from the beach, and they have two indoor pools and one outdoor pool. If you stay in the back building, they have their own indoor pool that all the rooms open up to. If you want to stay downtown on Short Sands, you can try the Sands by the Sea....no indoor pool, and not as nice as The Anchorage, but they have an outdoor pool and you walk across the street to the beach, arcade, shops, and playground.

Edited: 3:20 pm, April 02, 2018
new hampshire
Level Contributor
109 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

I am not sure why the Ogunquit hotel came up in my previous post! I mean the Anchorage Inn in York Beach.

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
5. Re: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

York is a beautiful beach, I go there all winter long with my dog. Closer to Portsmouth is New Castle commons, a huge open space with a great playground for kids, awesome views of the ocean and a small but nice sandy beach.

Hopkinton, New...
3 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

Ogunquit is my favorite beach in the area. There’s a public bathroom and parking. Long Sands Beach in York is also nice but expect only a beach, almost no places to eat. In NH, Hampton is popular and there’s a nice bathroom but it’s very touristy so on sunny days, it’s not uncommon to wish 50% of the people around you weren’t.

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,241 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

If New Hampshire is your goal, i will second Wallis Sands. They have a big beach, nice large changing house with snack bar. And the water stays pretty shallow a good ways out, which is especially nice with young kids. There are an assortment of independent motels and cottages along rte 1A, some with outdoor pools, may be heated, and some with indoor pools. There are also a number of hotels on rte 1 and near the Portsmouth traffic circle that may be under $200. York and Ogunquit are great places too, as noted.

Portsmouth
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
8. Re: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

For hotels, try one of the brand hotels in/near Portsmouth.AAA rate for something like Marriott near plaza should be 200 or less.

Rye, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
1,470 reviews
9. Re: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

Wallis Sands is a great beach -- quiet, clean, and no honky-tonk stuff like Hampton Beach (although it might be fun for you to check out Hampton Beach one day or evening because it's an award-winning beach).Wallis Sands State Park has a small beach area with a bathhouse and snack bar but not much beach when the tide is high. However, there's also a longer, adjoining stretch of beach known as Captain's Cove that you can cross over to A great motel to stay in that's only a 10-minute walk away is Pebble Cove Motel, which is a clean, family-owned, retro type of motel that's right on Ocean Boulevard and faces the ocean. It has a nice outdoor pool -- not sure if it's heated. For the time of your stay, they charge $155 a night for a studio (most of the rooms are studios) and $135 a night for a 3-day weekend, which isn't bad, seeing that you're right on the ocean and only a 5-minute drive from the historic city of Portsmouth, which also has lots to do. The kitchenette, which comes fully equipped, would come in handy and save you a lot of money in food costs. I've attached the website. I live in Rye, so let me know if you have further questions. Jo

http://pebblecovemotel.com/rates.php

Rye, New Hampshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
1,470 reviews
10. Re: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay

It's Jo again -- I'm sending you the website for Wallis Sands State Beach (or Park). In the photo of the beach, you can see the State beach in the foreground with Captain's Cove further on (behind the second set of rocks).

https:/…wallis-sands-state-beach.aspx

Reply to: Best Beach for Kids and Where to Stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted