We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to Portsmouth

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to Portsmouth

I live in Boston, but have never gone up to Portsmouth. I have some vacation time coming up, and for once am not traveling. If came up for one day -- maybe 10-6 -- by myself (female, mid-20s), what would you recommend? I'm fine with wandering around but wanted to know which museum(s) and/or other sites you would recommend.

Thanks!

Strawbery Banke Museum
Historic Sites, History Museums
Market Square
Points of Interest & Landmarks
USS Albacore Museum
History Museums, Specialty Museums
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to Portsmouth

Oh, I'd be taking Greyhound up (no car) if that changes your suggestions. Thanks again!

New England
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to Portsmouth

Hi Carob!

A few hours is not alot of time! :(

Alone.....during the day......Hmmm.....I would try to hit the Strawberry Bank Museum. That's always good for a great tour. Depending on when you're going the gardens may or may not be out.....I'm assuming it's soon so no Great Strawberry Bank Gardens... :(

If you have time for dinner hit the Dunaway...right there in Strawberry bank.

For lunch I recomend Geno's on the water. Down Marcy ST. Everyone knows where it is.......Go in and just watch the local flavor! They DO have THE BEST Lobster rolls!!!

LOL Great lunch , plus great local color!

During the daytime there are many shops..(IF you are one to shop!) Deer ST. is the Fashion district.....Just below the Sheraton! Alot of great places to outspend your credit card! lol

If coming in warmer weather then I would reccomend a cruise....The Thomas Leighton is good for learning the lay of the land and water. Just not sure when they are starting up next.....

Have fun! I will look into the T.L.'s Schedule and get back to you!

Antrim, New...
Level Contributor
2,084 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to Portsmouth

I'd echo travelingtoo. Portsmouth is a fun place to wander for a day. Strawberry Banke is a restoration colonial village, if that sort of thing interests you. The shops, restauarants and cafes in the old town part of Portsmouth are great to explore. There is an outstanding art glass gallery/shop called NJM Gallery. They exhibit and sell works by some of the top glass artists in the country. Talk about overspending your credit limit...

I don't know what the Greyhouond schedule is like, but if you can take a later bus, that will leave you time to enjoy dinner, maybe even check out the night life. Portsmouth is a great town to be young at night.

Have fun

Bretton Woods, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to Portsmouth

Black History trail is very interesting and navigates most of Portsmouth. Do eat at the Friendly Toast.....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to Portsmouth

Thanks for your replies. I will check on the bus schedules...although I think, unfortunately, that the last one leaves at 6pm. I may decide instead to spend a night with my bf later, which might be better.

Thanks again!

New England
Level Contributor
44 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to Portsmouth

OOOH! I second the Friendly Toast! There may be a line but it goes quickly! Be prepared for very cool and funky decor....retro via grandma's cottage!

Huge portions of very creative food combos!

Best for breakfast, but good for lunch as well!

Enjoy!

7. Re: day trip to Portsmouth

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, August 28, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Portsmouth