We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Stowe worth the trip?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is Stowe worth the trip?

We'll be on our leaf-peeping driving tour in a couple of weeks. We are staying overnight in East Montpelier and would like to drive up to Stowe the next morning on our way to our next final destination, North Conway. However, we may be short of time because we'd rather be on the Kanc Hiway....is it okay to miss the little town of Stowe on this trip? If there surely is "not-to-be-missed" photo opps in the area...I would make every effort to make that visit.

Please advise. Thank you.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Stowe worth the trip?

I'm no expert on Stowe, having been there I think once in my life. That said, it's unquestionably a beautiful town and area, and not far from East Montpelier. The thing is, on your way from there to North Conway you will see a great deal of beautiful scenery, and if you're pressed for time, there may be no compelling reason to take even that short detour. Of course, if you end up wanting to visit some particular attraction such as the Von Trapp lodge, that will consume a significant portion of your time.

So, my own feeling is that with a nearly endless series of photo-ops awaiting you on your main route, you could afford to skip Stowe. Only you can manage your time, though, and I'm sure you'll find Stowe rewarding if you do go.

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Stowe worth the trip?

A couple of weeks from now? I hate to say it, but you may be too late for good color anywhere in the mountains by then, whether it's Stowe or the Kancamagus... What exactly are your travel dates?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Stowe worth the trip?

A well valid point, wpsaukee. We may want to make some adjustments to our schedule if we are truly inclined to make the detour. Thanks for your input!

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Stowe worth the trip?

TerrMys....I know you would ask that question! We will be there mid-week on the second week of Oct. I know that it's very possible we'll miss the peak in VT but our drive will also take us south at some point, RI and CT, where the colors are just starting to change.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Stowe worth the trip?

I don't think your timing could be better.

Bristol, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Stowe worth the trip?

So around the 12th or so? Yeah, that's not as late as I thought it would be. There's still a high chance that the mountains themselves will be past peak, but most of the lower elevations between the mountains should be bursting with peak color. You'll notice this difference on the Kancamagus, which climbs and falls a couple thousand feet.

Stowe is a nice charming town and all, but I think of it more as a convenient base in the Green Mountains than as a must-see photo op. You'll be passing through a lot of beautiful places and I think it probably wouldn't be worth going out of your way, especially since Stowe is in the heart of the mountains and will probably be past peak.

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
914 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Stowe worth the trip?

It's always best to hear it from the TA experts like you. Thanks to both!!!

8. Re: Is Stowe worth the trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, October 25, 2012
Get answers to your questions about North Conway