We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North Conway and area advice asked

Which North Conway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Holland
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
North Conway and area advice asked

Hello TA members

We a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children age 13 - 10 and 9) will make a round trip in the USA from July 14 till August 6.

On Friday July 22 we will leave Peabody with direction North Conway.

Are there any suggestions on which would be the most scenic/dramatic route to take to North Conway.

The day after we would like to make a detour from North Conway., which route would you suggest to take to enjoy the area with this limited amount of time the most and to enjoy this area at the most

I am thinking about some nice view points / pittoresque villages / short walking etc

The day after we will leave for Adirondack would there be a suggested route to enjoy this scenery as well.

Many thanks in advance

Harry

Boston
Level Contributor
24,437 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North Conway and area advice asked

" Are there any suggestions on which would be the most scenic/dramatic route to take to North Conway."

There are a number of ways to get from Peabody to North Conway, when I go to NC I usually like to go through the town of Wolfeboro, NH, oldest resort town surrounding Lake Winnipesaukee, this can take a little more time but I rather enjoy stopping and having breakfast on the Lake. From here its on to NC. Since Im only a few towns away from Peabody going this way may take me an additional half hour but its well worth seeing the Lake and the town.

" The day after we will leave for Adirondack would there be a suggested route to enjoy this scenery as well."

Since the Adirondack area is Huge and not knowing where you are going maybe this will help.

Since I also spend vacation time in the Adirondacks, upper State New York in and around the Saratoga, Lake Placid and Lake George areas I prefer going through Woodstock Vermont then into the Killington Ski area through Rutland Vermont and into the Lake George Area of the Adirondacks and Lake Champlain area.

Hopefully others can supply route numbers, I just take them for granted since I know where Im going.

Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North Conway and area advice asked

As DM pointed out, there are a number of ways to travel to N Conway. You could take 95 north towards Portsmouth and get on the Spaulding Tpk - route 16. If you stay on rt 16 it will take you to Conway. If you want to see the lake and Wolfeboro, from the Spaulding, take rt 11 out of Rochester towards Alton Bay and take rt 28 N to Wolfeboro. If you stay on rt 28 it will bring you back onto rt 16 in Ossipee. I you have the time and want to see more of lake winni, take rt 109 out of Wolfeboro which meanders along the lake. This road will terminate and you will take a right onto rt 25 which will bring you back to rt 16.

There are lots of sights to see in and around N Conway some depending on how much walking you want to do.

I would recommend a drive up to Jackson seeing the covered honeymoon bridge and taking the 5 mile circuit drive in the village - Black Mtn Rd to Moody Farm Rd to Carter Notch Rd and stop at the Jackson Falls. There are a couple of deli's in town where you may get a boxed lunch and eat at the falls. There are free guide books located at gas stations and restaurants that are packed with attractions so you'll be able to choose any. Good luck and I hope you enjoy NH.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North Conway and area advice asked

Harry,

Take a look at my posts in these two threads for some ideas on touring in the area:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k302929…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k306546…

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,074 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North Conway and area advice asked

how much time are you spending in NH? are you leaving time to go up Mount Washington? You can head towards NY to the west either on rt 112 (Kanc) or rt 302. Both have spectacular views. Along 302 is Arathusa Falls which is highest waterfall in NH and on Kanc is Sabbaday Falls. Either is worth visiting although if it has been a dry summer, don't expect Niagara Falls type activity. I can give you a month's worth of stuff to do but if you only have a day, then you already have enough to keep you busy.

Holland
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: North Conway and area advice asked

@ neslaw 1

On July 22 we are leaving in the morning from Boston spending the night in North Conway

On July 23 we have the whole day for a round trip staying the night in North Conway

On July 24 we will leave for Adirondack

Harry

6. Re: North Conway and area advice asked

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 07, 2012
Get answers to your questions about North Conway