We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildcat Mountain

Which North Conway hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Wildcat Mountain

We are thinking of doing a Ski trip next year. We would probably class ourselves as advanced beginners. Have skied in Europe a few times.

Thinking of combining the trip with maybe New Year in Boston and then onto Wildcat.

Just wondering if you could give me some advice on Wildcat.

How far is the drive from Boston.

Is it a child friendly resort

If we decide to have some down days from Skiing is there plenty to do.

Best place to price ski hire and ski lift passes.

Thank you

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
6,653 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildcat Mountain

Wildcat is about 3 1/2 hours from Boston......

It's about 25 percent beginner terrain, fifty percent intermediate and 25 percent expert....

Not sure about the kid-friendly part -- no experience going there with kids.

Things to do on "down" days will depend on where you're staying....

Wildcat is surrounded by the White Mountains National Forest and, the last I knew, had no on-site lodging. It's about ten miles from Gorham, NH to the north or Jackson, NH to the south, the two closest towns -- both have some activities. But if you're trying to keep four kids busy, your best bet will probably be to go the extra few miles south to North Conway....considerably larger than either Jackson or Gorham....but still just a fair-sized New England town. Activities in N. Conway will include: a movie theater, the Mt Washington Observatory Weather Discovery Museum, ice skating on the village green or at Hamm Arena in Conway....

waterford ireland
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildcat Mountain

thank you,

How far is North Conway from Boston and what is the main Ski Area in NC called.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildcat Mountain

NC is about 3 1/2 from boston and wildcat about another 20 min (with no weather related driving issues). Read about Wildcat. It is considered a pretty difficult mountain, due to the fact that it doesn't groom as much as most mountains. I am an advanced skier and found it to be very challenging. It also is cold but does have the best views in the East. Right in NC is Cranmore which is not very challenging IMHO. My fave is Attitash/Bear Peak which has alot of skiing, also wonderful view, and fam friendly. It is maybe 15 minutes from NC. Bretton Woods is has the most resort flavor, lots of kid stuff, ziplines even in winter I believe, and great glade skiing although it is not a very difficult mountain. Probably has the best "weather" of the area mountains but is about 1/2 from NC. Not sure what "plenty to do" means. There is shopping, sledding, horse drawn carriages, depending on what days you will be there.

check out visitnh.gov for great current information.

also check out the www.attitash.com , http://brettonwoods.com/

www.skiwildcat.com

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wildcat Mountain

As an advanced beginner myself, I'd recommend Cranmore. It's smaller than the other mountains, but I'm assuming you're not looking for "challenging" anyways.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,055 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wildcat Mountain

AAhhh, missed the beginner after advanced. Would not recommend Wildcat. Cranmore does fit the bill. Bretton Woods is one of the prettiest places to ski and has plenty of advanced beginner terrain as well- just a little more travel time and weather can impact travel. A/BP would also be just fine but is larger. Since you have skiied Europe, probably know how to find way around a mountain and A/BP is not big in a European sense.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,336 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wildcat Mountain

I also like Cranmore for a good beginner/intermediate mountain and there is lots to do there. I also like Bretton Woods a lot. They are very service-oriented toward families and have a good kids program. (Or at least they did back when my men were boys.) Bretton Woods also has a great sports facility with a great indoor pool. The only negative is that you are not as close to lots of entertainment as you would be at Cranmore.

If you want close to Boston, Loon is your best bet. It's 2 hours from Boston. (I'd also shave 30 minutes off the estimates of the driving time to the other places too -- unless it's snowing). Loon has a great kids program, and is ideal for beginners. Again, not as much to do as in North Conway/Cranmore, but a bit more than Bretton Woods might have.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,805 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wildcat Mountain

I consider myself an advanced skier and I don't care for Wildcat at all.. If I had to choose I would ski Bretton Woods first then Cranmore second. How old are the children you are traveling with? Another option might be King Pine. It's a very small mountain, family friendly. The price is right to ski there. Visit this website for current information. www.skinh.com This website offers ski anywhere, anytime passes. You can buy six passes and have them mailed to your house. You can use anytime including weekends and holiday weeks. You can save about 25%. I don't know how many days you plan of skiing. This is a good option for adult tickets as junior tickets tend to be cheaper. You can rent equipment from any ski shop in town. They will rent multiple days so you don't have to worry about returning the equipment every night. There is a place that we rented a few times from. It's next to the Muddy Moose restaurant. I want to say Bob something or other. Maybe Dave can help me out with the name. You can't miss it.

As far as going to Loon. It's a great mountain. The sidewalks roll up at night there so if you're looking for fun stuff to do in the evening it can be boring. You can't go wrong staying in the North Conway/Jackson area. Have a great time.

Foxboro...
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wildcat Mountain

I'd have to agree with others that Cranmore and the North Conway area is the way to go. I've skied Wildcat and find it extremely icy at times due to the wind coming off of MT. Washington. Cranmore is a great mountain for an advanced beginner.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,410 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wildcat Mountain

" How far is North Conway from Boston"

Its 140 miles one way from Downtown Boston so depending on how fast you drive...

I do it in about 2 hours 15 min if I dont stop for breakfast...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wildcat Mountain

WILDCAT IS NOT WORTH $70!! I reluctantly bit the bullet and drove up to Wildcat to pay $70 for a lift ticket today, hoping that the recent snowfall would make it worth it. Instead, I was greeted with an ENORMOUS queue to buy lift tickets that snaked through the base lodge. I waited over 30 MINUTES just for the privilege of giving the mountain $70 to ski! The majority of the skiers on the VERY slow moving line were appalled at the unacceptable wait time and I watched several skiers actually leave rather than wait, which I was tempted to do as well. When I finally got to the ticket counter, the machine failed to print out my lift ticket, so I was delayed further until a manager could figure out how to reprint it. This was my 11th ski area in 11 days and it was the FIRST time I had to wait more than 2 minutes of valuable morning ski time to buy a ticket!! Wildcat only has one main lift and for some reason they delayed the opening until 10am!! Wind was not an issue today so I can only assume that the delay was another byproduct of the new mismanagement that had not gotten the chairs loaded on the quad in time for the 8:30 scheduled opening. Unacceptable! When the main lift FINALLY opened, the line was HUGE because every skier had to wait for an elderly man to manually scan their lift ticket with a gun and wait for approval to allow them on the lift. Meanwhile, chairs were going up the mountain EMPTY while skiers were forced to endure this terribly inefficient and frustrating new procedure. It makes me feel like I am not trusted as a customer and am suspected of using a counterfeit ticket. Again, unacceptable. There was almost no trace of the 28 inches of new snow claimed on the mountain’s website. Almost no “natural” trails opened and there were just a handful of available skiing options. Only about 1/3 of the mountain was open- about the same acreage of Cranmore ($59 lift ticket), and I was horrified to see that the mountain was NOT MAKING ANY SNOW!! This is considered a criminal offense at most eastern ski resorts who take advantage of every opportunity in December to make snow. After just 6 runs, we had skied everything available multiple times and decided to call it a day at 11:30am. Wildcat is NOT a $70 mountain. They have bare bones customer service, mismanaged skier services, minimal terrain with snowmaking, only one main lift, no on-mountain dining, disgusting base lodge bathrooms, and no new amenities offered to skiers this year to justify the increased price. Your money is better spent at Cannon ($63), Bretton Woods (100% open), or even Cranmore ($59). Needless to say I will not be going back for quite some time.