We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family vacation in the White Mountains

New York, NY
Level Contributor
54 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Family vacation in the White Mountains

We are a family of 5 (10 and 7 years old girl and a 3 years old boy) going to Bartlett 8/27 through labor day weekend. We have questions about some of the activities we have in mind and hope that someone can answer them for us. Is Storyland or Santa Village better? How about Clark's trading post? We also want to drive up to Mount Washington. Is it worth the trip? How about taking the tram? Also, can someone suggest an easy hike (doable by my toddler boy) that would allow us to see some waterfalls and mountainviews? Is there any lakeside beaches around Bartlett? Any nice little shops and restaurants?

Mentioned in this post
Santa's Village
Santa's Village
992 Reviews
Jefferson, NH
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,888 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family vacation in the White Mountains

Storyland has always been the better attraction IMO, although I confess I haven't been there in many years.

Driving the Auto Road is probably a better option than the Cog railroad, and will save you money. But catching a good day weather wise is the most important factor. Don't even think of going up the mountain if the weather is bad.

Echo lake SP is a great place for a beach day. Arethusa falls is a good hike with water falls and not too strenuous. I first did it when I was 4 years old.

Too many great eateries to mention. See other threads and links

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family vacation in the White Mountains

To add to RR's good advice.

Problem with "is this better.." is so subjective. Fun to be had with both. SV will be a longer drive and will expose you to some wonderful northern areas of the state. IMHO, clark's is ok, see the bear, buy some candy....

If you can get organized early, the first coach up MW stays an hour.

30 min becomes very short on a wonderful day. Driving is an option (for you???)

Lost Pond across from Pinkhan Notch is easy and pretty to would you believe (not so) Lost Pond. There are some ledges where folks can often be seen climbing. You can climb to the top without ropes and may be doable for the young un.

Glen Ellis Falls is a very easy walk and is near Pinkham Notch also. This is about 1/4 mi maybe less but definitely worth it. 2nd highest in NH, I think. Arathusa may be easy for a 4 yo, but this old man was huffing and puffing.

Cathedral Ledge is another place for views this is near (above) Echo Lake.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g46186-d10…

Diana's Bath is short hike and fun swimming with falls. Also near Echo Lake. Jackson Falls is my favorite. top of falls near bridge is easiest water for little one and older will enjoy scrambling over rocks.

Shops galore in NC. I like the NH League of Craftsman shop.

Kid's will like Zeb's.

Here is a list of things to do and restaurants but feel free to stop anywhere you like. Won't be disappointed.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i19621-Circling…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i20158-Restaura…

Mentioned in this post
Glen Ellis Falls
Glen Ellis Falls
245 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Cathedral Ledge
Cathedral Ledge
838 Reviews
North Conway, NH
Jackson Falls
Jackson Falls
310 Reviews
Jackson, NH
Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
63,888 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family vacation in the White Mountains

Kids of all ages like Zeb's. MrsRedPony has to go there every year to buy several lbs of Jordan Almonds.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family vacation in the White Mountains

Hi NewYorkMom

It has been a few years since our family did the park thing but even at that time, Storyland had much more to offer than Santas Village. Santa's Village is cute but in my opinion, there is more for the family at Story Land. Never went to Clark's. Mount Washington auto road is certainly worth the trip -IF and that's a big if, the weather is good. Keep in mind there is a big discrepancy between weather at the base and at the summit. It can be sunny and warm at the base, and near freezing and dense fog at the top.

There are lots of family friendly restaurants in the area. Glen Junction is very popular with families. There are your typical chains such as McDonald's, etc but please visit the independently owned places such as Peaches in North Conway, Yesterday's in Jackson etc for breakfast/lunch. For dinner, the choices are endless! From Elvios in North Conway for great pizza to steak houses like the Red Parka Pub in Glen. You won't be hungry!

As mentioned by another poster, Zeb's is a big hit with kids and families, and worth a stop, even at the candy counter.

Your little boy may enjoy a visit to the Conway Scenic Railroad, if he likes trains too.

Mentioned in this post
Santa's Village
Santa's Village
992 Reviews
Jefferson, NH
Story Land
Story Land
1,062 Reviews
Glen, NH
Mount Washington Auto Road
Mount Washington Auto...
1,424 Reviews
Gorham, NH
Glen Junction
Glen Junction
384 Reviews
Glen, NH
North Conway
North Conway
Conway, NH
Conway Scenic Railroad
Conway Scenic Railroad
1,180 Reviews
North Conway, NH
Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
144 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family vacation in the White Mountains

We've been to Story Land and Santa's Village, and in my opinion, I don't think one is much better than the other. I think Santa's Village has a few more rides that are better for older kids, but I'd stick with Story Land just because it's where you're staying. That being said, you're up there for a week, so why not do both. The ride to Santa's Village is very scenic. One tip about Story Land... If you go after 3 pm, then your tickets are free the next day. There's a great restaurant for the kids right up the road from Story Land:

http://www.redfoxpub.com/.

They have a little room for the kids to play with toys, and a room playing movies, while the kids wait for dinner to arrive.

The Muddy Moose is also kid-friendly.

One warning about Clarks.... I've never been, but they have a train ride, and a wolfman jumps out near the end of it to scare everyone. I'd be a little worried about a 3-year-old getting scared for real by him.

We'll be up there the same week as you. I'm hoping it's quiet up there with a lot of schools back in session that week.

Mentioned in this post
Story Land
Story Land
1,062 Reviews
Glen, NH
Santa's Village
Santa's Village
992 Reviews
Jefferson, NH
Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family vacation in the White Mountains

Get this book at your library: AMC's Best Day hikes in the White Mountains. It has details on just about every hike mentioned above. It also is geared toward the possibility of having young children and helps you plan accordingly. I'd add Artist's Bluff to your list of hikes. No waterfalls, but the best extended views for the least effort in the Whites.

Agree that Clark's is a so-so trip. And, everyone is always debating which is better between Santa's and Storyland. My preference was always Santa's. There is no ride that your 3 y.o. can't ride, they permit you to bring in your own picnic lunch and there is lots a green space and shade -- nice for warmer days.

LMM

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Westerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family vacation in the White Mountains

Park your car by the train station in N Conway and after visiting the station walk around the area and explore the alley ways - lots of great little shops and eateries.

Mentioned in this post
Conway
Conway
White Mountains, NH
Boston
Level Contributor
24,655 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family vacation in the White Mountains

" Is Storyland or Santa Village better?"

Just got back, we do both every year with the grandkids, which one is better will be based on opinions, both are fun for the kids, with the new water park at Santa’s village the kids seemed to have a better time at Santa’s village. They are six and five.

Diana's Bath as one poster said already is a short hike and fun, the kids loved the climbing the rocks.

Mentioned in this post
Santa's Village
Santa's Village
992 Reviews
Jefferson, NH
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family vacation in the White Mountains

Diceman

What are the odds of someone having 11000 posts, most about LV and not being a DE? Sounds like fun with the grandkids.

Boston
Level Contributor
24,655 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family vacation in the White Mountains

" What are the odds of someone having 11000 posts, most about LV and not being a DE? Sounds like fun with the grandkids"

We look forward to this trip every year because it is with the grandkids, if it was with my Daughter and Hubby alone we wouldn’t even go, LOL

Get answers to your questions about North Conway