We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need trip advice for travel for end of march

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
need trip advice for travel for end of march

This is a first trip for the family, 2 sisters and 12 year old, not sure if we should stay in north conway or other part of white mountains. we want to do outdoor activities, cross country, snow tubing and snow shoes ( have no equipment) , some shopping and sight seeing. we have 4 nightst, flying into Boston and renting a car. Any advice on where to stay, things to do. We are from florida and 2 of our group never saw snow.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,770 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need trip advice for travel for end of march

North Conway is as good a place to base yourselves as any. It has more access to all of the facilities you'll be looking for, including rental equipment. It's the gateway to the White Mtns and offers a full variety of lodging and hotel accommodations.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need trip advice for travel for end of march

You have hit most of the things to do.

As far as lodging, without budget, type of lodging, etc- can't make a rec.

I would suggest looking at the various places that seem to hit your fancy and maybe we can help narrow the choices.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
165 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need trip advice for travel for end of march

Tallygirl-

Anywhere from No Conway all the way to the Canadian border will have the adventures that you have indicated an interest in partaking.

Snow Shoeing, Snowmobiling, Dog Sledding and Ice fishing(if the "girls" are into it) are all fantastic winter activities in addition to the ones you have listed.

I have to agree w/Neslaw1 about budget and perhaps timing as well?

March will start to slow down the winter activites (Mother Nature is in control) a bit as Spring starts to hold as well, so I suggest earlier in the month rather than later if your truely after the SNOW. I hate the look of dirty snow along the road edges. Tne further north you go the longer winter holds on as well - Coming all the way north you may want to drive up and through Pinkham Notch as well - Just to be sure to see the Presidential Mtn range.

Travel Well

Tazman

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need trip advice for travel for end of march

We are looking at the Buttonwood inn, Farm by the river and stables and eartern slope inn in n conway, and we are stuck with March 27-April1 for the dates. I know weather can't always be predicted, but if you are recommending to go further north to be sure for the snow where do you suggest? Do you mean to stay in the white mountain area?

We are also considering to stay in Jackson at the Inn at Ellis river or Carter notch inn and driving to north conway for shopping ect. Thanks so much for all this information, we really want to make this special.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
Level Contributor
59,770 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need trip advice for travel for end of march

I've stayed at Buttonwood and Eastern Slope and can recommend them both, but they are entirely different from each other.

Buttonwood is a B&B in the truest sense. Private rooms and a homey feel with great breakfast and afternoon cookies in the village of Kearsarge. You'll need your car for everything but local walks. Eastern Slope is a grand old hotel, converted to TS with more facilities including a restaurant on site and located in the heart of down town North Conway. You can walk to shops and some attractions.

Both would be good choices with access to the activities and sight seeing on your agenda. It just depends on your style.

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need trip advice for travel for end of march

Thank you Redrox, by the way we just got back from Sedona AZ, first time there and it is just stunning, really enjoyed the area!

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need trip advice for travel for end of march

Seem like good options. Jackson is nice to stay in as it is a small village and very winterwonderland like (hopefully for you). It is about 15 minutes to the closest part of NC .

I stayed at ESI last winter. While it is a Grand Old Hotel, sometimes the emphasis is on the Old. There are some rooms that are nicer than others, so you may want to ask some questions. It does have suites with a full kitchen if that makes a difference to you and they are available.

I did like it alot, but it is one of those places that if you know what to expect, you will be fine but if you are expecting a Ritz like experience, you will be sorely disappointed.

Tallahassee
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need trip advice for travel for end of march

Anyone have first hand experience with The Inn at JAckson? review sound good , as far as location and cleanliness? Can we walk to village and recommendations for casual but good food with local flavor. Thanks

9. Re: need trip advice for travel for end of march

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 17, 2010
Get answers to your questions about North Conway